The Pursuit of God

I wouldn't call it an epic fail. Rather a challenging attempt with little compromises here and there. To what do I refer? The diet. The CDEFG-Free Diet. I'm on day nine. And it's difficult. Very difficult. Going Gluten-Free is a breeze in comparison. Even Dairy-Free is manageable. But no grains, no eggs? How does one do our family's traditional once-a-week pancake meal? Or what is supposed to sop up the yummy curry when we consume Indian cuisine?

That being said, I haven't given up entirely. I have made several significant changes in the last week. I stopped baking for myself to reduce my grain temptation. I'm in the process of reconceptualizing breakfast and eating things like soup or nuts & fruit. I eat more oven-roasted meals instead of meals that are drenched in sauces. I am caffeine-free. I have completely stopped all my prescription drugs in attempt to truly assess my symptoms and treat the acid reflux more naturally. And I take more naps to let my body heal.

I had a conversation with a friend today and she expressed what I am currently feeling. The pursuit of health can be expensive and exhausting. It can be quite discouraging to try this or try that in the hope that something - anything - alleviates the discomfort. And even if you are given a potential solution, certain realities make the ideal diet a challenge. In my case, I can't give up rice. No way. It is too ingrained (ha, ha) in my culture. I can't completely give up eggs. Sorry. Buying more healthy cuts of beef and chicken are expensive for our one-income family. Beans and legumes only go so far for my energy levels (plus too much of it can cause lower GI tract issues). Thus, I'm going to occasionally eat eggs. So there you have it kids. I kind of failed. But, I'm still trying to change the way I eat, for the most part, for the sake of my gut.

Let me step back for a moment and reflect on the big picture. Western Society is obsessed with the pursuit of health. On one hand, many individuals are over-reliant on prescription drugs to make them feel good. Why bother changing one's lifestyle and diet when a magical pill will make the problem go away? On the other hand, many people are obsessed with doing everything right with their diet and lifestyle, so much so, that they idolize the illusion of "perfect" health. Over the past few years, the words "Gluten-Free" and "Paleo" have entered the lay person's lexicon, and rightfully so. But there is a danger that even a good trend in health can lead us away from the pursuit of God. We can become so fixated on solving our health problems by ourselves that we forget to pursue the one who holds our health in His hands.

The reality is that countless people in our world cannot afford to be selective in what they eat in comparison to me. They are poor. Money is scarce. Any food is a blessing, in spite of possible intolerances. And survival instead of "perfect" health is the goal. At this moment, I pray for such people, that God will lead them to Himself and heal them of their diseases.

Tomorrow, the season of Lent begins. I have a little over 40 days before I see my Naturopath again. Until then, I will do my utmost to follow the dietary advice she has given me. But I will also extend myself patience and grace for my shortcomings. And, I will aim to pursue God in the midst of discomfort and dietary frustrations. Tomorrow, in preparation for Easter, I will offer the sacrifice of praise and gratitude. I will thank God 40 times through 40 consecutive posts.

After all, 40 is a GREAT number, isn't it?

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now