Lent 19: Aging Gracefully

I was inspired today. We found out today that one of the couples that attends our care group is in their mid to late eighties. I would have never thought! I would have placed them in their seventies! This couple is enthusiastic, thoughtful and very dedicated to serving God in their church and their community. They are in good health. They are parents to two children and have grandchildren as well. They actively witness to their neighbors and strangers. They are encouraging and welcoming.

I want to be like them when I'm eighty!

Yesterday, I had a conversation with my Mother-in-law on a similar topic: how not to look (or act) your age. Recently my Mother-in-law as asked why her and her husband are in relatively good health. Here is some of her thoughts, combined with wisdom I gleaned from the couple in our care group:

1. Be Active. Don't just sit on your rocker and waste away the latter part of your life. Get up. Do something. Go for a walk.

2. Get Involved. Don't throw a pity party because you are "elderly". Invest in something or someone other that yourself. That could be your family, your church, your community.

3. Eat Well. Fill yourself with nutritious foods that you ideally prepare yourself. Avoid packaged meals that tend to be filled with junk.

4. Keep Your Mind Active. Learning something new. Read. Do cross-word puzzles. Think. Converse. Dialogue.

5. Have Fun. Play games. Laugh. Laugh. And laugh again.

6. Invest in Friendship. Find friends and work at keeping them. Everyone needs friends.

7. Seek Christ. It is never too late to grown in your faith in God.

Kids, you all know that I am getting older. And since I am now over-the-hill, I want to go down with style, grace, joy and vibrant energy!

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now