Lent 3: I Covet
It is easy to be Pharisaical and claim that we have "arrived" in the faith. It is tempting to forget during moments of spiritual triumph that we still contend with a sin nature. It sadly feels good to look down at others who seem so screwed up in how they live their Christian life. But, if we are honest with ourselves, we will know that we are all screwed up.
I covet. I struggle with discontentment. And lately both these sins have come to the forefront. I have found myself coveting material stuff that others have. I have hear myself asking the same old questions again. Why can't I have that too? Will I ever? Why do I have to be content with this? (Kids, does that sound familiar?)
I am thankful that I am aware of at least some of my sinful tendencies. Because it keeps me humble. It reminds me that God loves me in spite of my flawed thinking. He always offers His Grace and Forgiveness. And His Holy Spirit works within me to transform my nature from what it is to who Christ is. That is a comforting thought.
I covet. I struggle with discontentment. And lately both these sins have come to the forefront. I have found myself coveting material stuff that others have. I have hear myself asking the same old questions again. Why can't I have that too? Will I ever? Why do I have to be content with this? (Kids, does that sound familiar?)
I am thankful that I am aware of at least some of my sinful tendencies. Because it keeps me humble. It reminds me that God loves me in spite of my flawed thinking. He always offers His Grace and Forgiveness. And His Holy Spirit works within me to transform my nature from what it is to who Christ is. That is a comforting thought.