Lent 17: Respectful, Encouraging Leaders

During my teaching career, I was blessed to work along side many competent leaders who were respectful and encouraging in how they interacted with their followers. I specifically remember my first teaching job in a province other than my own. I had walked into a fairly challenging teaching assignment. I had replaced a retired legend, who was quite miffed that a rookie was asked to teach senior physics (and told me just that). I was understandably stressed and overwhelmed. One day, as I worked on course outlines before the commencement of school, my principal walked into the room. He said to me, "I have full confidence in you. You will do an amazing job!" And then, he walked back to his office. I will never, ever forget that. In that moment, he boosted my morale and empowered me to do my best. And, by God's grace and enabling, I did. My principal was very proud of me at the end of that year.

Your Daddy and I are also blessed to have a respectful and encouraging pastor as well as board chair in the church we currently attend. Both men are true examples of servant leaders who listen and respond accordingly. There have been several incidences in which we felt we had to speak up about an issue. And when we meet with these individuals face to face, they listened intently to understand where we were coming from. They expressed their viewpoint, whether it agreed with ours or not. And we all came to a better understanding as a result.

Yesterday, I read a fascinating article about W. Brett Wilson, a Canadian entrepreneur, philanthropist and investment banker. The article was about demonstrating respect to build a better business. He writes in his book Redefining Success: Still Making Mistakes, "For me, respect is the ability to value another person and their perspective. It involves treating people with courtesy and kindness. Respect is not the same as agreement. In fact, it is a basic sign of respect to trust people enough to tell them when you disagree. But respect should dictate how your express your opinion."

When I was completing my Masters of Education degree almost ten years ago, I took a class called "Change Theory". My professor was a sessional lecturer who was completing her PH.D. at the time. She was researching the decision making process of Quakers in the States. She told us that the Quaker leaders made their decisions by consensus rather than by democratic voting (and so do scientists, by the way). While the process was more time consuming, it was very empowering and respectful to the whole group. Furthermore, the process valued people with differing opinions. These individuals were given time to explain why they disagreed. Yet, there were protocols in place that allowed people to dialogue in a timely fashion (as opposed to letting one person overtake the meeting with his or her agenda).

All of this has caused to me reflect. Do I, as a leader, allow differing opinions amongst the people I lead? Do I empower people to speak and share, even though I do not agree with them? Do I truly listen to individuals instead of waiting for the next moment to interrupt and say what I want? Am I respectful and encouraging? I pray that I will be.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now