Daunting {But Not Impossible}
I rarely watch the news. I catch up on the world's happenings -- where often the horror is reported -- via Google News. Or the brief blurb before classic rock on our favourite radio station. But very occasionally, at the end of the day, I take in the images of national and global headlines.
Now, to set the record straight, I am not 100% sure which party to vote for. When I completed the Canada Election Quiz, I came out Liberal. Mind you, my NDP and Conservative scores were not far behind. Essentially, I am split between three parties. I agree with some elements of each party's election platforms. I disagree with other elements of each party's election platforms. Therefore, no one party is truly representative of how I think a country should be run.
However, when it comes to the Syrian Refugee Crisis, I side with the NDP and Liberals. Let's be more hospitable and open our country to those who are clearly suffering, in spite of a possible security risk!
Now, this is where I need to ask myself a crucial question. Would I be willing to take in a Syrian refugee family? Would I be eager to sacrifice in such a way as to open my home and loosen my finances to resettle a destitute group over a course of a year?
To be honest, my answer at this point would be no. Why? Because the task seems utterly daunting, insurmountable and overwhelming to accomplish on our own. How in the world could our little family help another family when we -- and our extended family -- have our own list of financial challenges? It can take upwards of thirty grand to resettle a small refugee family along with generous donations of furniture and clothing! How in the world can a middle class family afford that?
Yet there is inspiration. The church. Yes, the church! The church, as a community of local believers, can collectively take on the challenge of welcoming a refugee family. And the church doesn't have to do it alone. One church can partner with other churches and agencies to make resettlement and healthy integration a reality.
The Mennonite Brethren Herald featured an insightful article in their August 2015 issued entitled "How to love the foreigner among you: Immigrants, refugees and Christian churches." The article included this encouraging example:
Back to my political riding. We bleed blue here. And we have a redneck reputation (I write this just as I hear another big truck blasting itself out of a cul-de-sac). While we are friendly as a region, we sometimes struggle with welcoming the foreigner into our lives (after all, there are not many foreigners here in comparison to other regions of our country). And when that foreigner is of another religion than the majority, it invokes fear in the hearts of people. Fear closes us off from others. Fear causes us to face inward rather than outward. So I wonder if any church in this town would ever welcome a refugee family from the Middle East.
If you know of one, do tell me. I'd like to help.
Yesterday I watched the masses trek across Europe, searching for a safe haven away from war-torn Syria. I witnessed little kids crying as they tried to rub away tear gas sprayed by unrelenting border police. The message? You are not welcome in this country. I choked up as a father and his son fell to the ground after being tripped up by guards. The look of desperation on people's faces was heart breaking.
Our country is nearing a Federal Election in October. Many voters are curious how the next Prime Minister will address the Syrian Refugee Crisis. Here is an excerpt from The Globe and Mail:
Mr. Mulcair [NDP] and Mr. Trudeau [Liberal] condemn Mr. Harper [Conservative] for lacking compassion in the face of the worst refugee emergency since the Second World War. They, and many in the media, invoke the precedent of 1979, when Canadians launched a drive that rescued 60,000 Vietnamese and other Indochinese refugees. They promise to rise to the occasion again by bringing in many more Syrian refugees than the Conservatives would accept, and bringing them in much quicker.
But the Middle East is not Southeast Asia. And many voters prefer the Conservatives’ more cautious approach... It may be safe to say most Canadians are willing to take in more Syrian refugees, but they want it done carefully. (Conservatives' refugee crisis response far from fatal for Harper, The Globe and Mail, September 16, 2015).The region of the country you live in bleeds blue. Now I am not talking about our hockey team, but rather our riding's political affiliation. This corner of the prairies is Conservative. The 308 Electoral Track Record predicts that there is a 97% chance that our riding will remain Conservative after the next election. (I guess I'll be in the minority?)
Now, to set the record straight, I am not 100% sure which party to vote for. When I completed the Canada Election Quiz, I came out Liberal. Mind you, my NDP and Conservative scores were not far behind. Essentially, I am split between three parties. I agree with some elements of each party's election platforms. I disagree with other elements of each party's election platforms. Therefore, no one party is truly representative of how I think a country should be run.
However, when it comes to the Syrian Refugee Crisis, I side with the NDP and Liberals. Let's be more hospitable and open our country to those who are clearly suffering, in spite of a possible security risk!
Now, this is where I need to ask myself a crucial question. Would I be willing to take in a Syrian refugee family? Would I be eager to sacrifice in such a way as to open my home and loosen my finances to resettle a destitute group over a course of a year?
To be honest, my answer at this point would be no. Why? Because the task seems utterly daunting, insurmountable and overwhelming to accomplish on our own. How in the world could our little family help another family when we -- and our extended family -- have our own list of financial challenges? It can take upwards of thirty grand to resettle a small refugee family along with generous donations of furniture and clothing! How in the world can a middle class family afford that?
Yet there is inspiration. The church. Yes, the church! The church, as a community of local believers, can collectively take on the challenge of welcoming a refugee family. And the church doesn't have to do it alone. One church can partner with other churches and agencies to make resettlement and healthy integration a reality.
The Mennonite Brethren Herald featured an insightful article in their August 2015 issued entitled "How to love the foreigner among you: Immigrants, refugees and Christian churches." The article included this encouraging example:
River of Life MB church in New Brunswick recently welcomed a refugee family from Tanzania, a process that took more than seven years. Partnering with a local Baptist church, they raised the needed funds within the first year. When the refugee family finally arrived, the churches donated items to furnish an apartment. The whole church was energized to help them settle. A year later, the family still regularly attends River of Life.
If you know of one, do tell me. I'd like to help.