Dietary Restrictions

I've been contemplating the issue of diet and learning to control disease through food (or elimination of certain food) instead of reaching for the opaque vile full of pharmaceuticals. It is challenging to do such. And while a more natural way of addressing illness is becoming more popular in today's day and age, it is still considered alternative medicine. I can get 10 minutes of my doctor's time for "free" and receive a prescription for $5, covered under our drug plan. Or I can see a Naturopath for 30 minutes at $80 and receive suggestions for supplements that can cost up to $100 per month. Thankfully, your Daddy's health plan covers Naturopaths up to 80% (though the supplements are not covered).

I believe I am finished accessing the services of my Naturopath for the time being. Why? I think she has done all that she can for me. She has provided me a tool kit of possible supplements to consume as well as sound dietary advice to follow. Do I think she was worth seeing? Absolutely. She educated me to consider an alternative paradigm for treating disease. She has shown me how Western Medicine fall shorts in addressing chronic issues. She opened my eyes to how many people do have gut issues because of over consumption of gluten and dairy. She affirmed that stress goes aggravate the body (and it would do us a whole lot of good if we listened to our bodies and realigned ourselves mentally). She listened.

In the meanwhile, I need to bring my body back to good health after a week of bad eating. Honestly, the hardest part of being on a restrictive diet is eating out or eating at someone else's home. You have to be prepared to (1) bring your own food, (2) cook your own food, (3) advocate for your food, and (3) feel crappy because of something you ate. It took much will power to avoid eating treats I thoroughly enjoy. I admit, I drowned myself in chips out of self-pity. Not my finest moment!

Sometimes I get frustrated with health and wish I could just quit trying because it is too hard. Eating differently makes me stick out and I am tired of sticking out.

Yet, this seems to be my lot in life now, to be different, to be odd, to think in ways and do things that are not status quo. Maybe this is all God's way to remind me that I don't belong here and that this isn't my eternal home. Maybe I am to go through these "momentary afflictions" to empathize with those who struggle with diet. Maybe this is God's way to keep me humble and remind me that even though I am loved by God and my soul is redeemed, I am still human and my body is waiting complete redemption. Or, as you Daddy sometimes concludes, there isn't one definite altruistic reason. This is the reality of life on earth. I just have bad genes.

Hopefully you kids received your Daddy's genes when it comes to diet and not mine.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Ordinary: Tempering Radical

Daunting {But Not Impossible}