Lent 38: Friends
I am thankful for friends. And I realize through the walk of life that one has different kinds of friends for different kinds of needs and occasions.
Kindred Spirits. I owe this phrase to one of my favourite movies of all time "Anne of Green Gables". I have a few kindred spirits in my life, which is good, because they wouldn't be kindred if such friends were common. These people just "get me" as they share many of the same values as me. They understand how I think, because they often think the same way. They are loyal. They speak my "love language" of quality time and affirmation. They choose to be on my side and pray for me often. They remember my birthday. They are a safe place for me to vent, because I know my secrets are guarded in their care. And, they admonish me when I need some guidance or correction.
Historical Friendships. I have friends in my life who are there because we have been together through a significant period of life such as junior high, university or a particular job. While we may not have much in common now, our shared history binds us together. We have just gone through too much as friends to let each other go. So I connect with them off and on, and still have much to talk about.
Spousal Friendships. Since being married, I have inherited some friendships through your Daddy. And it has been a delightful surprise, as I discover much about your Daddy's personality and history by watching him interact with his friends. I now count several of them as friends of mine as I truly receive joy when I spend time with them. (I have discovered that many of them LOVE Star Trek, which is AWESOME. I thought I was all alone!)
Family. I do count many members of my family as my friends. The dynamics of friendships within family is fascinating! Some members are kindred. Others are historical. And still others are connected to me through your Daddy.
Mentors. In my past I had a mentor who I still consider a friend of mine today (but we are now separated by distance). These individuals are there to support me in an elder capacity. They can play the role of a parent, but allow for more authenticity than an actual parent or in-law relationship. I miss the fact that I don't have a mentor in my life today (though people in our small group do play that role for me in an informal fashion).
Organization Friends. I have people that I count as friends because of the church I attend. They are the people I naturally connect with or am getting to know through our small group. Your Daddy's closest friends in the community are some of the colleagues he works with.
Friends for Specific Reasons. I realize that I do have friends in my life for a specific reason. I am connecting with some women in my community in an attempt to appreciate particular cultural values, that may or may not be similar to mine. We often have a international connection. And as global diversity is of interest to me, I aim to connect with these individuals to gain a better understanding of the world.
Friends for a Season. This group of friends saddens me the most, as I am not connected with them any longer. Yet, I am embracing the reality that some friendships, even close ones, are a gift for a season. And then, for whatever reason, good or bad, these friendships end. That is okay, because it is part of life. I am thankful that I had a moment in time with these people. I wish them well.
Facebook Friends. Sorry. Don't have those.
Your Daddy. Yes, he is my friend, my best friend, for so many reasons. He has his own category because it is a friendship like no other. :)
Children, I pray that God will bless you with a variety of friends.
Kindred Spirits. I owe this phrase to one of my favourite movies of all time "Anne of Green Gables". I have a few kindred spirits in my life, which is good, because they wouldn't be kindred if such friends were common. These people just "get me" as they share many of the same values as me. They understand how I think, because they often think the same way. They are loyal. They speak my "love language" of quality time and affirmation. They choose to be on my side and pray for me often. They remember my birthday. They are a safe place for me to vent, because I know my secrets are guarded in their care. And, they admonish me when I need some guidance or correction.
Historical Friendships. I have friends in my life who are there because we have been together through a significant period of life such as junior high, university or a particular job. While we may not have much in common now, our shared history binds us together. We have just gone through too much as friends to let each other go. So I connect with them off and on, and still have much to talk about.
Spousal Friendships. Since being married, I have inherited some friendships through your Daddy. And it has been a delightful surprise, as I discover much about your Daddy's personality and history by watching him interact with his friends. I now count several of them as friends of mine as I truly receive joy when I spend time with them. (I have discovered that many of them LOVE Star Trek, which is AWESOME. I thought I was all alone!)
Family. I do count many members of my family as my friends. The dynamics of friendships within family is fascinating! Some members are kindred. Others are historical. And still others are connected to me through your Daddy.
Mentors. In my past I had a mentor who I still consider a friend of mine today (but we are now separated by distance). These individuals are there to support me in an elder capacity. They can play the role of a parent, but allow for more authenticity than an actual parent or in-law relationship. I miss the fact that I don't have a mentor in my life today (though people in our small group do play that role for me in an informal fashion).
Organization Friends. I have people that I count as friends because of the church I attend. They are the people I naturally connect with or am getting to know through our small group. Your Daddy's closest friends in the community are some of the colleagues he works with.
Friends for Specific Reasons. I realize that I do have friends in my life for a specific reason. I am connecting with some women in my community in an attempt to appreciate particular cultural values, that may or may not be similar to mine. We often have a international connection. And as global diversity is of interest to me, I aim to connect with these individuals to gain a better understanding of the world.
Friends for a Season. This group of friends saddens me the most, as I am not connected with them any longer. Yet, I am embracing the reality that some friendships, even close ones, are a gift for a season. And then, for whatever reason, good or bad, these friendships end. That is okay, because it is part of life. I am thankful that I had a moment in time with these people. I wish them well.
Facebook Friends. Sorry. Don't have those.
Your Daddy. Yes, he is my friend, my best friend, for so many reasons. He has his own category because it is a friendship like no other. :)
Children, I pray that God will bless you with a variety of friends.