Lent 37: Almost Awesome
It has been 16 days. That is sixteen days since I last took my prescription drugs for my stomach. I feel almost awesome! (Well, maybe that is exaggerating a bit, but is sounds better that almost normal.)
I have never been able to fully follow the advice of my Naturopath. Cutting out all grains was a tall order. And while I can do without many, many grains, rice is too much of a staple for me to eliminate. Removing eggs from my diet was quite difficult. I like my (rice) pancakes too much. And eggs are a quick (and cheap) source of protein for me, especially since we are on a one income budget.
But I have managed to cut out dairy (and I've been gluten free for some time now). And that in itself is an accomplishment. And you know what? My stomach isn't as sore anymore.
I am learning to listen to my body and treat the symptoms more naturally. Organic Ginger Tea soothes my gut when I am having a mild episode of the burn. Occasionally chewing gum gets me swallowing, which coats the esophagus with saliva. The green smoothie I consume in the morning helps neutralized excess stomach acid. Eating less refined sugar always helps. And getting extra rest aids in the healing.
Prayer also helps. Kids, you pray for my esophagus 2-3 times a day. I know several of my family and friends are also praying for my gut. You know what? God is answering those prayers. True, it may mean that I will be gluten-free, dairy-free for the rest of my life (except indulging in hard ice cream once-a-month during the summer, because it's tradition). But if that means I am not as dependent on pharmaceuticals, then so be it. I'll take that gratefully over the daily drugs.
I leave this post with a couple recipes, namely a Green Smoothie and my favourite Brown Rice Pancakes:
Green Smoothie
(Organic Ingredients are the best, but I can't always find them or afford them.)
2 cups water
Spinach
Romaine
1/3 Seedless Cucumber, chopped
1/2 Apple, chopped
1 Banana, chopped
1/2 Lemon (rind & seeds removed)
Fill a food processor or blender with spinach and water. Blend until smooth. Add about half as much chopped romaine (the darker the leaves, the better). Blend. Add chopped cucumber, apple, banana and lemon. Blend until smooth. Store in the fridge and drink within three days.
Brown Rice Pancakes (Gluten and Dairy Free)
2 eggs
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup melted butter*
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 cup almond milk
Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, adding almond milk last. Mix well. Add more milk if the consistency is too thick. Heat a skillet or griddle and grease it with butter. Use a ladle to pour pancake mix to form 4 inch circles. Flip when edges are set and bubbles appear on the surface. Makes about 6-8 pancakes.
*For the most part, butter seems to be okay for people on dairy-free diets. If you are asked to avoid butter, use a vegan margarine instead.
I have never been able to fully follow the advice of my Naturopath. Cutting out all grains was a tall order. And while I can do without many, many grains, rice is too much of a staple for me to eliminate. Removing eggs from my diet was quite difficult. I like my (rice) pancakes too much. And eggs are a quick (and cheap) source of protein for me, especially since we are on a one income budget.
But I have managed to cut out dairy (and I've been gluten free for some time now). And that in itself is an accomplishment. And you know what? My stomach isn't as sore anymore.
I am learning to listen to my body and treat the symptoms more naturally. Organic Ginger Tea soothes my gut when I am having a mild episode of the burn. Occasionally chewing gum gets me swallowing, which coats the esophagus with saliva. The green smoothie I consume in the morning helps neutralized excess stomach acid. Eating less refined sugar always helps. And getting extra rest aids in the healing.
Prayer also helps. Kids, you pray for my esophagus 2-3 times a day. I know several of my family and friends are also praying for my gut. You know what? God is answering those prayers. True, it may mean that I will be gluten-free, dairy-free for the rest of my life (except indulging in hard ice cream once-a-month during the summer, because it's tradition). But if that means I am not as dependent on pharmaceuticals, then so be it. I'll take that gratefully over the daily drugs.
I leave this post with a couple recipes, namely a Green Smoothie and my favourite Brown Rice Pancakes:
Green Smoothie
(Organic Ingredients are the best, but I can't always find them or afford them.)
2 cups water
Spinach
Romaine
1/3 Seedless Cucumber, chopped
1/2 Apple, chopped
1 Banana, chopped
1/2 Lemon (rind & seeds removed)
Fill a food processor or blender with spinach and water. Blend until smooth. Add about half as much chopped romaine (the darker the leaves, the better). Blend. Add chopped cucumber, apple, banana and lemon. Blend until smooth. Store in the fridge and drink within three days.
Brown Rice Pancakes (Gluten and Dairy Free)
2 eggs
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 cup melted butter*
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
3/4 cup almond milk
Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, adding almond milk last. Mix well. Add more milk if the consistency is too thick. Heat a skillet or griddle and grease it with butter. Use a ladle to pour pancake mix to form 4 inch circles. Flip when edges are set and bubbles appear on the surface. Makes about 6-8 pancakes.
*For the most part, butter seems to be okay for people on dairy-free diets. If you are asked to avoid butter, use a vegan margarine instead.