Thankfulness #6: Dumplings & Curry

My effort was not in vain. My husband cut up the dumplings stuffed with cottage cheese and lathered the goodness with cream gravy. Salt and pepper was generously applied. A side of farmer sausage and corn was added. And then he ate his supper with a satisfied grin.

I actually made Wareneki, Mennonite cottage cheese perogies.

Now, I have much to learn about the art and science of producing the perfect dumpling. And, in my estimation, my mother-in-law's version tastes much superior. But I SMILE when my husband claims he can't tell the difference.

(Did I mention, his comment made me smile?)

Too funny! Who would have thought?! Here I am, in the midst of the fourth decade of my life (haven't completed it yet, okay!!!), living in a small city where many Mennonites reside, attending a Mennonite church, raising children with my husband who has Mennonite heritage, and now making Mennonite food. What the heck happened?

Okay, okay. Don't worry! I am writing this with tongue-in-cheek. I just find my life outcome to be a bit ironic, humorous, and surprising, considering my desire to explore cultures outside this province. I even remember vowing in high school that I would never marry a Mennonite. :)

NEVER say never.

Does God prepare us for our futures? Does each event we encounter enable us to live the next? Is everything destined? Or is it a combination of random events, free will, and God's purpose? And can God be surprised by our choices? Or does He know absolutely everything and nothing gives Him spontaneous joy or gut-wrenching "how-can-this-be-happening" sorrow? (Wondering what I'm talking about in the last two questions? Check out this perspective.)

Questions aside, I am thankful that my children have Mennonite heritage along with their East-Indian roots. Hey, they have been blessed with the double "cheap" gene. Poor kids. They will be searching for bargains for the rest of their lives!!! And while my husband and children ate Wareneki on the weekend, they'll be consuming beef curry and naan tonight!

Isn't life delicious?!

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now