Thankfulness #5: Individual Results May Vary
We have read the disclaimer, in the fine print: Individual results may vary. Usually there is one big promise. One BIG tantalizing promise. If you do THIS, you will achieve THAT. But... individual results may vary.
I wonder how my outlook on life would have been different if I heard a sermon on this topic in my youth. I heard many a talk on how to live the Christian life in a certain manner. Engage in this discipline and you will receive that. It could be anything such as reading scripture, praying, fasting, giving, serving, and witnessing. Whatever it was, the message was similar. Christian "karma" will reward you.
Then reality hits. Prayers don't get answered, not in way that I want. Money is given away, and I still experience financial struggles. And a witnessing formula explodes with disaster. And I have encountered several times in my life when I've done "all the right things" and God is extremely silent.
Hmmmm.... individual results may vary.
And I am glad. Thankful actually. Because if Christianity was a cookie-cutter type lifestyle, then it would be harder than it already is. We'd ALL have to fit into the same mold. We'd ALL have to read scripture, pray, fast, give, serve, and witness in the same way. We'd ALL experience the same results. And if we didn't, something would be very wrong with us.
THAT would be boring. And depressing.
I once heard something enlightening. God has designed us all to worship Him in DIFFERENT ways. How I was designed to seek God will be unique. And my life experiences are patented for me. My life story is a tapestry of God's design elements and my freewill. Thus, I need to stop comparing my life with others and start living my own life with passionate intentionality and joyous exuberance in spite of the good and the bad.
Praise God that individual results may vary.
I wonder how my outlook on life would have been different if I heard a sermon on this topic in my youth. I heard many a talk on how to live the Christian life in a certain manner. Engage in this discipline and you will receive that. It could be anything such as reading scripture, praying, fasting, giving, serving, and witnessing. Whatever it was, the message was similar. Christian "karma" will reward you.
Then reality hits. Prayers don't get answered, not in way that I want. Money is given away, and I still experience financial struggles. And a witnessing formula explodes with disaster. And I have encountered several times in my life when I've done "all the right things" and God is extremely silent.
Hmmmm.... individual results may vary.
And I am glad. Thankful actually. Because if Christianity was a cookie-cutter type lifestyle, then it would be harder than it already is. We'd ALL have to fit into the same mold. We'd ALL have to read scripture, pray, fast, give, serve, and witness in the same way. We'd ALL experience the same results. And if we didn't, something would be very wrong with us.
THAT would be boring. And depressing.
I once heard something enlightening. God has designed us all to worship Him in DIFFERENT ways. How I was designed to seek God will be unique. And my life experiences are patented for me. My life story is a tapestry of God's design elements and my freewill. Thus, I need to stop comparing my life with others and start living my own life with passionate intentionality and joyous exuberance in spite of the good and the bad.
Praise God that individual results may vary.