Marketing: Targeting our Fears and Values
The marketing industry fascinates and infuriates me. It has an insidious way of targeting our fears and values.
1. Environmentally Friendly Products. Accompanying the fear of a global climate catastrophe is our need to purchase products and services that are perceived to be kinder to our environment. I am not against being cognisant of our earth's deplorable status and taking action to repair our world. However, it bothers me when products or services are labelled as being environmentally friendly on one hand but cause equally challenging problems on the other hand. For example, many institutions are becoming fans of e-billing and e-pay stubs. The service is labelled as being kinder to the environment. And the institution saves a whole wade of cash in paper and printing. But, in order to received your e-bill or e-pay stub, you need a computer. And these computers are replaced often to keep up with the technological times. The result? E-junk! Many cities are overwhelmed with that amount of technological garbage we have inherited. Very toxic garbage, I'd like to add (see article "Toxic Chemicals in Computers Exposed" for more details). Solve the paper problem; inherit the deadly technological waste problem.
2. Wealth and Prosperity. It is RRSP season. I am getting quite tired of seeing the cute Indian couple stop in at Scotia Bank for a second opinion. Forget that fact that there are host of other banks who would like you to think that all your dreams will come true in your retirement. Just invest in this bank's fund and you will have a yacht, a beachfront house, and delicious piƱa coladas every morning. Truthfully, our world seems to be obsessed with becoming rich. Not just at retirement, but NOW! Many businesses are touted as the next highway to happiness: "Join our dynamic team and you will be transformed from rag to riches!" Sadly, some tele-evangelists and churches promote the prosperity gospel: "God wants you to be rich! Give to our ministry and have faith that God will make you prosperous!" Now, I am not against wealthy individuals. I know that God blesses many people with riches. However, it is not necessarily a person's lot in life to "live the high life." After all, Jesus definitely wasn't a millionaire by his early thirties! Honestly, I don't want to be that rich either.
I wonder what Christ-like marketing would look like...
1. Environmentally Friendly Products. Accompanying the fear of a global climate catastrophe is our need to purchase products and services that are perceived to be kinder to our environment. I am not against being cognisant of our earth's deplorable status and taking action to repair our world. However, it bothers me when products or services are labelled as being environmentally friendly on one hand but cause equally challenging problems on the other hand. For example, many institutions are becoming fans of e-billing and e-pay stubs. The service is labelled as being kinder to the environment. And the institution saves a whole wade of cash in paper and printing. But, in order to received your e-bill or e-pay stub, you need a computer. And these computers are replaced often to keep up with the technological times. The result? E-junk! Many cities are overwhelmed with that amount of technological garbage we have inherited. Very toxic garbage, I'd like to add (see article "Toxic Chemicals in Computers Exposed" for more details). Solve the paper problem; inherit the deadly technological waste problem.
2. Wealth and Prosperity. It is RRSP season. I am getting quite tired of seeing the cute Indian couple stop in at Scotia Bank for a second opinion. Forget that fact that there are host of other banks who would like you to think that all your dreams will come true in your retirement. Just invest in this bank's fund and you will have a yacht, a beachfront house, and delicious piƱa coladas every morning. Truthfully, our world seems to be obsessed with becoming rich. Not just at retirement, but NOW! Many businesses are touted as the next highway to happiness: "Join our dynamic team and you will be transformed from rag to riches!" Sadly, some tele-evangelists and churches promote the prosperity gospel: "God wants you to be rich! Give to our ministry and have faith that God will make you prosperous!" Now, I am not against wealthy individuals. I know that God blesses many people with riches. However, it is not necessarily a person's lot in life to "live the high life." After all, Jesus definitely wasn't a millionaire by his early thirties! Honestly, I don't want to be that rich either.
I wonder what Christ-like marketing would look like...