Lollipops & Letting Go

Princess A.
Dear Daughter,

About two weeks ago, we had planned a little supper celebration at the big yellow M in honor of your brother's potty training accomplishments. I picked up your Dad from school and he asked you:

D: "After Mommy's appointment, we will go somewhere for a big surprise. Guess what is it!"

A: "A lollipop?"

D: "No. It's bigger than that."

A: "A very big lollipop?"

Your Daddy and I burst out laughing!

Lollipops and gum. Pink and purple. Pretty dresses and sparkly shoes. Lip gloss and nail polish. Unicorns and princesses. Jewelry and purses. There is no doubt about it. You are a little girl now.

Yesterday, I was cuddling with you. I could barely hold you in my arms. Your sweet frame sprawled beyond my reach. I reminded you in that moment how little you were when I first met you face to face. So little in comparison to now. A precious baby with blue-gray eyes, bundled in pink fleece.

Now, you speak of climbing the big yellow bus to school. Your hazel eyes twinkle with the anticipation of new friends and new adventures. You are so ready to leave our sanctuary of home to learn and play and explore and discover.

I am happy for you. Both your Daddy and I had overall positive schooling experiences, even though the time was far from perfect. Now, we look forward to hearing about your academic and social accomplishments!

Yet, I draw in a breath and hold it as my eyes threaten to well up. I hope and pray that the lessons you have learned while under your parents' guidance are positive ones. May you be a girl of politeness. More so, may you be a girl of integrity, honor, and love. May you embrace the faith of your family as your own. May you cling on to the hope we have in Christ. May He grant you courage to stand up for what is right, to speak the truth in love, and to defend the weak.

I know we could keep you at home and provide a more than adequate (and possibly superior) schooling experience for your intellect. I know of many in my circle of family and friends who have elected such a direction. I understand their reasons. I respect their choices.

But unless the current educational system is completely unable to meet your future needs for intellectual stimulation or general safety of person, we, in faith, choose to partner with a public school. We choose to walk along side you and guide you as you encounter teaching contradictory to our beliefs and values. We choose to encourage you to rise above the sinful behaviour you witness with the empowering of the Holy Spirit. We choose to let you be in the world while not being of the world.

Sometimes I do get scared. I am your Mother. I was wired to protect you. I shudder with anxiety when I contemplate, "What if something horribly goes wrong in the halls, classrooms, and playgrounds of elementary school?" Yet, I must remember that you are God's first and foremost. You are literally named "Protected by God". What a powerful reminder for me (and you) that our Lord God Almighty, Creator of the Vast Universe, Saviour of the World, is in charge!

In the meanwhile, I'll smile as you pretend to be a princess while prancing and skipping down the hall of our house. I'll aim to enjoy our classroom consisting of our kitchen table, the couch near the book shelf, the park within walking distance, our house of worship, and the various preschool-friendly venues we frequent. And I'll remember to make time to play with you, while we both still can.

Let's go find a really big lollipop, okay?

Love,
Your Mommy

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now