The Year of the 13

Dear Children,

So it begins: 2013. A year to be marked. Signified. Archived with special sentiment.

One day, you will discover that thirteen is the favorite number of both your parents. The number has appeared it my life too many times to be a coincidence. Both your birth times contain multiples of thirteen. The church we currently attend is on thirteenth avenue. And in the past, my teaching assignment in the school before your existence placed me in Room 113 with parking stall 13E. Eerily cool, isn't it?

Which brings me back to year 2013, the only year in my lifetime that will have my blessed number in its digits.

I desire to accomplish something profound this year. Yet, I hesitate to resolve a list of specific "To-Do's" at this moment. On the one hand, I am prone to over-ambition and the resultant guilt (and self-loathing?) when I under-achieve. On the other hand, my realistic nature coupled with skills in logistics often aborts visions in their embryonic stage. Regardless, the consequences are identical: disappointment.

Thus, I step out in faith, and in prayer. Here are my dreams and hopes for 2013, a list of flexible aims open to God's interpretation and direction. And yes, there are 13 of them (I had to, ya know)! Drum roll please!
  1. Post on the 13th and 26th of each month in this virtual space.
  2. Compose or create something significant that will bear the year 2013.
  3. Continue to draw on the lessons learned in 2012 (see previous post).
  4. Memorize a passage of scripture, or two.
  5. Do something that I have never done before (and always wanted to do).
  6. Rely on God's guidance in the area of new friendships (and take some risks).
  7. Go on a holiday with just your Daddy and you two kids without visiting extended family or friends during that time.
  8. Invest in my local community while remaining globally focused.
  9. Celebrate a 13th of a particular month by having a one-on-one "date" with each of you, that is your Daddy, my daughter and my son.
  10. Renovate our kitchen, mostly D.I.Y., with some help from the professionals, without borrowing money.
  11. Sponsor another child through Compassion International to be my son's "pen pal" one day.
  12. Stay active, stay healthy, stay calm. And stay sane.
  13. Work towards building authentic, Christ-inspired community along with my husband (small group? prayer group? something else?).
Well kids, let's see what happens! Bring on 2013!

Shelving guilt and logistics,
Your Mommy

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now