I've Got GERD
Dear Lord and Father,
So, I've been diagnosed with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), a condition where the stomach contents spill back into the esophagus, causing heartburn. I've been advised to avoid spicy food, sleep upright, maintain my weight, and reduce my stress.
Doctor, please tell me something I don't already know!
Here is my annoyance and frustration. (1) I hardly eat spicy food except once or twice a week. And the food isn't really that spicy. Rather, it's flavorful. (2) I try to sleep upright, but it bothers my neck, which is currently under chiropractic treatment for the past year. Thus, I sleep in such a way that is comfortable for my joints but unhealthy for my GI tract. What is a girl to do? (3) I religiously weigh myself and I am twenty pounds lighter than 1.5 years ago. Shouldn't that make things better instead of worse? (4) I try very hard to reduce my stress with exercise, personal time, camaraderie time, and other recreational activities. Truthfully, my life isn't that stressful!!! I experienced more stress teaching four classes of 30+ teenagers (per semester) than I do now (or so I think)! While I tend to worry about "big picture" stuff, I do attempt to pray my concerns away. Unfortunately, all of this effort isn't enough to cure my disease.
Nonetheless, my esophagus has a mild burning sensation a good portion of the day, in spite of the fact that I am on two types of medications plus other OTC stuff to alleviate the symptoms. I am confused with my doctors collective conclusion: "This is just the way it is going to be sister, so get use to it." (Maybe I should consult a Naturopathic Doctor?)
It is kind of sad that I'm blogging about this ridiculous subject as my 13th of the month post. But, this is what's on my mind. This is the condition I am dealing with right now. Oh, I do acknowledge that there are 101 worse case scenarios than GERD. I could have been diagnosed with something that requires aggressive treatment or a radical lifestyle change. For that I am sincerely thankful. Yet, I'm discouraged that my health is failing even before I hit four decades on this earth.
In the meanwhile I ask that you grant me wisdom in dealing with my condition. Help me to avoid foods that I know will make it worse (bye, bye dark chocolate and other highly caffeinated treats). Please bind any spirit that may be working against me (because anything is possible in this world). Help me to continually lay my burdens at your feet, big and small. And if it is your Will, heal this body of mine.
Sincerely,
Your Daughter
For my readers' information. Here is a list of thirteen foods (yes, 13, I'm not kidding) that help calm the symptoms of GERD (Source: Health Magazine Online).
So, I've been diagnosed with Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), a condition where the stomach contents spill back into the esophagus, causing heartburn. I've been advised to avoid spicy food, sleep upright, maintain my weight, and reduce my stress.
Doctor, please tell me something I don't already know!
Here is my annoyance and frustration. (1) I hardly eat spicy food except once or twice a week. And the food isn't really that spicy. Rather, it's flavorful. (2) I try to sleep upright, but it bothers my neck, which is currently under chiropractic treatment for the past year. Thus, I sleep in such a way that is comfortable for my joints but unhealthy for my GI tract. What is a girl to do? (3) I religiously weigh myself and I am twenty pounds lighter than 1.5 years ago. Shouldn't that make things better instead of worse? (4) I try very hard to reduce my stress with exercise, personal time, camaraderie time, and other recreational activities. Truthfully, my life isn't that stressful!!! I experienced more stress teaching four classes of 30+ teenagers (per semester) than I do now (or so I think)! While I tend to worry about "big picture" stuff, I do attempt to pray my concerns away. Unfortunately, all of this effort isn't enough to cure my disease.
Nonetheless, my esophagus has a mild burning sensation a good portion of the day, in spite of the fact that I am on two types of medications plus other OTC stuff to alleviate the symptoms. I am confused with my doctors collective conclusion: "This is just the way it is going to be sister, so get use to it." (Maybe I should consult a Naturopathic Doctor?)
It is kind of sad that I'm blogging about this ridiculous subject as my 13th of the month post. But, this is what's on my mind. This is the condition I am dealing with right now. Oh, I do acknowledge that there are 101 worse case scenarios than GERD. I could have been diagnosed with something that requires aggressive treatment or a radical lifestyle change. For that I am sincerely thankful. Yet, I'm discouraged that my health is failing even before I hit four decades on this earth.
In the meanwhile I ask that you grant me wisdom in dealing with my condition. Help me to avoid foods that I know will make it worse (bye, bye dark chocolate and other highly caffeinated treats). Please bind any spirit that may be working against me (because anything is possible in this world). Help me to continually lay my burdens at your feet, big and small. And if it is your Will, heal this body of mine.
Sincerely,
Your Daughter
For my readers' information. Here is a list of thirteen foods (yes, 13, I'm not kidding) that help calm the symptoms of GERD (Source: Health Magazine Online).
- Oatmeal
- Ginger
- Aloe Vera
- Salad (avoid tomatoes, onions & cheese)
- Banana
- Melons
- Fennel
- Chicken & Turkey
- Fish & Seafood
- Roots & Greens
- Celery
- Parsley
- Couscous & Rice