Thankfulness #21: A Mother of Two
![]() |
| Blue Day! |
"What happened?" I ask.
"Bunny bumped head," he states in a matter-of-fact voice. As I repeat his conclusion back in Hindi, he nods his confirmation. I gently take the bunny and whisper condolences into its large floppy ears. My son looks satisfied as Mommy comforts his bedtime friend.
My son is a go-getter. He runs full tilt, whips around corners, and bumps his head too many times! He is reckless and would jump into oncoming traffic for curiosity's sake. Thus, we have learned to grip his arm with all our strength to avoid injury. And some days he seems quite rough. I wonder what goes through his mind at times... Hmmm, what would happen if I bonked my sister's head with this toy golf club... BONK! Ohhhh, she cries...let's try that again... BONK! "MOMMY!" his sister screeches.
Yet, he has the sweetest, dearest heart ever. He is affectionate, appreciative, and considerate. He hugs and kisses his family generously. He remembers his please and thank-yous. And he finds a Kleenex for his sister when she is upset.
Thank you for my son.
"What letter is this?" she asks her brother.
"P!" he exclaims.
"No, it's C," she corrects. "Can you say 'A'?" she continues.
"A!" he repeats.
"Good boy!" comes her answer. "Now, this is a hard one. Can you say 'B'?"
"B!" the eager student yells.
"Good boy!" (I'm smiling now.)
Eventually the little boy looses it in the back of the car where the school lesson is taking place.
"What in the world is going on!" she retorts. "Stop screaming! If you don't stop yelling, I will take it away. FINE!" A tug-of-war ensues as both boy and girl's voices reach ridiculous decibel levels. I wince behind the car wheel and intervene the best I can while driving.
My daughter is an observer of patterns and specializes in repeating them. And much to my chagrin and pleasure, I hear myself in her. Our daugther is spirited, strong-willed, and determined. She is her Daddy's little girl, her brother's BIG sister, and her Mommy's part-time helper. She has a thirst for learning, a keen memory, and a fascination for all things pink and sparkly!
Thank you for my daughter.
Dear Father in Heaven, Giver of Good Gifts,
Forgive me for the times I view my children as trophies. Forgive me for the moments when I measure my worth as a Mother by how many children I possess. You have entrusted these two precious lives into our hands. They are yours and yours alone. It awes me to know that each one of my children is a unique combination of DNA. They exist due to your perfect timing! Please, help my husband and I to love them unconditionally, nurture them in the ways of the Christ, and pray unceasingly for their character. May we extend grace to them when they fail. May we accept your grace for our lives when we fall short of being the parents our children need. And may we celebrate our collective accomplishments and milestones with laughter and joy.
We are richly blessed. Thank you from the depth of my soul.
In Jesus' Precious Name,
A Mother of Two
