To Boldly Go...

One of my highlights from this May long weekend was watching Star Trek, the highly anticipated sci-fi prequel of the original Star Trek television series. What an absolutely amazing movie! It took my breath away. Now, I was not a huge fan of Captain Kirk and his adventures around the universe. Star Trek: The Next Generation was more my forte (Captain Picard is by far my favorite Star Trek captain!). But my husband has fond memories of waking up early on Saturday morning to watch Kirk and Spock encounter the paradoxes of the galaxy. Yah, cartoons were cool, but Star Trek was riveting, magical, and entertaining.

Riveting, magical, and entertaining are three words that sum up Star Trek, the movie. Is it worth viewing on the big screen with Dolby surround sound? A resounding YES! Don't worry, I will not give away the plot as I share my reasons why.

1. J. J. Abrams directs a movie that Star Trek fans will appreciate and new viewers to the phenomena will enjoy. There is enough reference to the series to encourage nostalgic moments for fans without excluding the general public from having a good time. Being well versed in Star Trek history is not a necessary prerequisite for understanding this film.

2. The opening sequence of the movie immediately engages the audience's emotions. I instantly began rooting for the characters on screen. Within ten minutes, I was crying as I watched the action enfold.

3. The movie does a phenomenal job in casting the young versions of the characters on the original Star Trek series. Chris Pine brilliantly portrays the arrogant yet daring James T. Kirk without the awkward jerky moves of the television version. Zachary Quinto intertwines human emotions and Vulcan logic as a very convincing Spock. I could go on about the other characters, but I will let you see it to believe it.

4. The script is well balanced and impeccably timed. Action sequences do not drag on and on and on. Intense moments are punctuated with appropriate moments of humor. Themes such as destiny, friendship, fear, and humanity are explored.

5. This sci-fi flick actually has an excellent plot, unlike some Star Trek movies. The story unravels threads of mystery, uncertainty, benevolence, and conflict. The PG-13 rating is an added bonus.

6. Past Star Trek movies and television series present a stark, static image of the ship's interior and exterior. Furthermore, camera angles are fairly traditional. This movie does a mesmerizing job of playing with lights, reflections, and unique vantage points. Even the computer generated images seem fresh and dynamic.

7. Want to see what a prequel is really supposed to be like? Check Star Trek out! George Lucas' Episode 1, 2, & 3 are examples of what prequels are NOT supposed to be like!

Now, my husband was kind to inform me that there were a few oversights in the plot. But I will not share them in fear of disclosing the storyline. Enjoy the show. Star Trek: To boldly go where no one has gone before... FINALLY.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now