Mellow Sundays

During my single days, I would often have bouts of "Mellow Sundays". While slowing down from a busy week of work and enjoying the quietness of Sunday afternoon, my mind would enter a state of reflective thinking. My thinking process would often spiral down to my perpetual agony of not being married. Oh woe is me!

Now I am married. And I still have Mellow Sundays. I realize that in the past I would generally focus on one paramount area of discontentment: singleness. These days my Mellow Sundays focus on concentrated pockets of imperfections or dilemmas. Let me share some of my ponderings.

1. Renovation Envy Part II: Yesterday, our neighbor held an open house to showcase their renovations prior to the arrival of their new tenants. WOW. What a transformation! I felt like I was visiting a show home. As soon as I entered our home, I started to notice all the flaws on our walls, flooring, and furniture. I had to stop and remind myself that (1) even if we wanted to overhaul our place, we don't have the cash; (2) it doesn't really matter anyway because in ten years all renovations will be out-of-date; (3) I need to learn to be content with what I have; (4) I am extremely blessed in comparison with a large percentage of the world who could only dream of living in my place; and (5) I need to invest in eternity.

2. Unity of the Spirit: Some of you are probably familiar with the verse: "...being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace," (Ephesians 4:3). What does it mean to preserve the unity of the Spirit? Because some people in the church view this passage as being in a constant state of agreement. After all, the word "unity" comes from the Greek word henotēs, which can mean unanimity. Thus, if anyone questions church authority, then he or she is threatening the unity of that church. That doesn't seem right to me! It really bothers me when people are shunned or encouraged to keep quiet when they legitimately question established teachings or traditions in the church. Insight?

3. Is she walking yet?: That is the question that I seem to get these days. And then I get stories from complete strangers at the grocery store about how their kid or grandkid was running around at 8 months. I really don't want to hear it. As it is, I already have problems with comparing my child's development with other children. I need to accept who my daughter is and trust that she will not be crawling as a teenager!

4. I am absolutely bored of cooking supper: Enough said.

I'll leave this post as an imperfect list of four. It is good therapy for my Type A personality.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now