2 Deleted Articles, 1 R.I.P.

I deleted two of my postings by accident. I was trying to remove a label from the article. Instead I erased the articles from cyberspace. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Both postings were on the topic of women in church leadership. The first one was titled "To Preach or Not To Preach" and the other one was called "Get Your Facts Right!" I was proud of the articles. I put a lot of thought into them. I did research and included web links. I edited the paragraphs so many times. Even my husband read over them to fine tune my wording.

But the issue that bothers me the most is that both posts were documenting a paradigm shift in my thinking. I've grown up with a very literal view of scripture. If the Bible says, "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent," (1 Timothy 2:11-12) then that is what it must mean for women today. No if, ands, or buts. However, in recent years I have rubbed shoulders with several Christians who have challenged my previous views on women in church leadership. They have presented an alternative and convincing view of the above passage through extensive exegesis. My husband is one such person. A couple of godly, passionate women who believe God has called them to preach have been inspirational. Articles written by Doug Heidebrecht and blog postings on theheresy.com have provided sources of insight. In addition, the church we have opted to attend as a family has been supportive of female ordination for years.

It is hard to believe how my views have changed over the years. Honestly, at times, it scares me. It is difficult for me to walk away from my former traditions and embrace a new way of thinking. It is humbling for me to admit that my interpretations of scripture are fallible. Most importantly, all of this is a good reminder that I still need to be gracious and respectful towards others who may not believe in what I do. Lastly, I need to apply the same grace and respect towards my mind as I experience conflicting emotions.

Anyway, may my two deleted articles rest in peace. And may this "obituary" serve as marker of my ongoing journey towards understanding God's purposes for women. Thanks for reading this again.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now