Amen to This...

Last night I read the following quote from The Myth of Certainty. It resonates with my previous post:

...the pessimistic words of Job about the inevitability of trouble are followed with an affirmation (5:8-9):

"But as for me, I would seek God. And I would place my cause before God; who does great and unsearchable things, wonders without number."

These are my words as well. I am keenly aware that humankind is born to trouble. It is painfully clear to me that I do not have absolute certainty that anything I believe is true. My reason is inadequate in these things to guide me to a sure conclusion; my emotions often fail me (not infrequently by their absence). But I will remember that others have endured this situation before me. I will call to mind their testimony and my own encounters with God. Memory. I will seek out the fellowship of others who likewise struggle. I will forgive them their trespasses as they forgive me mine. Community. I will seek to run the race with endurance, to fare foreward when forces without and within counsel abandonment. Perseverance. (Taylor, 1992, pg. 113-114)


Amen to that...

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now