Thankfulness #33: The Gift of 2014
It is year in review time. And since my current stage of life doesn't lend itself to staying up until midnight to clink the champagne glasses, I feel the need to mark the moment through words instead.
I did a quick perusal of my previous blog posts and read a few of my private journal entries over the year. A few thematic elements jumped out at me. I list them below in no particular order:
Perseverance. There were a few incidences over the past couple of years that strongly tempted my husband and I to attend a new church. This is a hard thing to admit in this space, as I know some of my readers frequent our place of worship. So why admit it? Because, let's be honest, as Christians, we do struggle with some element of our church experience, whether it is the preaching, leadership, worship style, certain individuals or groups, theology, vision, etc. And there are times when you wonder why in the world you decided to attend your church in the first place, especially in the face of some sort of drama. But in the end, unless it is an issue of blatant heresy that threatens the core of what you believe or there is a serious case of irreconcilable differences between individuals, you decide to stay. And even harder yet, you decide to love, forgive and offer grace as you so desperately need yourself. There is no perfect church. Because there is no perfect person, save for Jesus Christ. I praise God that your Daddy and I persevered to come to the point of accepting this church as our church. It has helped that many people in and outside our church have affirmed and encouraged us for the work we do to promote global and local missions. We thank God for His edification through other believers. We thank God for our church.
Contentment In Spite of Health. Do I feel better at the end of this year in comparison to the beginning of the year? I think so. I don't take as many prescription drugs for my chronic acid reflux. Things are usually manageable if I stay close to a gluten-free, dairy-free diet. Christ-centered yoga helps me to stretch, relax and focus (my view on yoga is explained in my post "Yoga: Fitness, Spiritual or Both?"). Practicing thankfulness through the Lent and Advent posts were a source of joy, even during days when I felt terrible gut-wise.
Facing the Sin in Me with Grace. For years I struggled with bouncing between self-loathing and self-righteousness. It would be very premature for me to say that I have learned to avoid either. However, I thank God that I am confronting my sin issues more and more with grace (instead of condemnation) through the restorative qualities of the Holy Spirit. I do not need to be perfect (because I am not perfect). But God is perfecting me, through His power, if I let Him.
Embracing 40. As my first year of being 40 comes to a close, I must conclude that it's been good. It has helped to admit verbally -- out loud -- to complete strangers that I am forty, when the situation so arises that such a confessional is appropriate. It is fabulous to hear that I don't look it!
Also, it was fabulous to received the gift of a DSLR camera for 40th birthday from my family and extended family. I have discovered a creative outlet for myself that I am eager to explore just for the fun of it, without any agenda, without any pressure to perform. As for my other "Embracing 40" goals, I'll update you on my status in January.
Being Graciously Passionate. There are still issues that I'm passionate about. Being missional in one's community. Sacrificing some of our prosperity to provide for the needs of the poor near and far. Budgeting, avoiding debt financing as much as possible, paying with cash instead of credit. Practicing hospitality, opening our homes to immigrants and newcomers. Taking ownership of our children's education, including spiritual education, even though our kids are attending institutions dedicated to teaching. Avoiding excessive uses of technology, especially if the technology reduces meaningful, face-to-face interactions. I could go on. Forgive me reader, if at times, this blog ends up being a "soap box". Thank you reader, for listening to me prattle on about something that is important to me. I am still learning to be graciously passionate, understanding that not everyone thinks the way that I do to the extent that I do (and that is okay). After all, I am not passionate about traditional Women's Ministries in churches or enrolling my children in competitive sports programs. I can understand why it is important to others. But I may not get involved as others do.
I should go to bed now, and God willing, wake up to a new year of possibilities. Thank you Lord Jesus for the gift of 2014.
I did a quick perusal of my previous blog posts and read a few of my private journal entries over the year. A few thematic elements jumped out at me. I list them below in no particular order:
Perseverance. There were a few incidences over the past couple of years that strongly tempted my husband and I to attend a new church. This is a hard thing to admit in this space, as I know some of my readers frequent our place of worship. So why admit it? Because, let's be honest, as Christians, we do struggle with some element of our church experience, whether it is the preaching, leadership, worship style, certain individuals or groups, theology, vision, etc. And there are times when you wonder why in the world you decided to attend your church in the first place, especially in the face of some sort of drama. But in the end, unless it is an issue of blatant heresy that threatens the core of what you believe or there is a serious case of irreconcilable differences between individuals, you decide to stay. And even harder yet, you decide to love, forgive and offer grace as you so desperately need yourself. There is no perfect church. Because there is no perfect person, save for Jesus Christ. I praise God that your Daddy and I persevered to come to the point of accepting this church as our church. It has helped that many people in and outside our church have affirmed and encouraged us for the work we do to promote global and local missions. We thank God for His edification through other believers. We thank God for our church.
Contentment In Spite of Health. Do I feel better at the end of this year in comparison to the beginning of the year? I think so. I don't take as many prescription drugs for my chronic acid reflux. Things are usually manageable if I stay close to a gluten-free, dairy-free diet. Christ-centered yoga helps me to stretch, relax and focus (my view on yoga is explained in my post "Yoga: Fitness, Spiritual or Both?"). Practicing thankfulness through the Lent and Advent posts were a source of joy, even during days when I felt terrible gut-wise.
Facing the Sin in Me with Grace. For years I struggled with bouncing between self-loathing and self-righteousness. It would be very premature for me to say that I have learned to avoid either. However, I thank God that I am confronting my sin issues more and more with grace (instead of condemnation) through the restorative qualities of the Holy Spirit. I do not need to be perfect (because I am not perfect). But God is perfecting me, through His power, if I let Him.
Embracing 40. As my first year of being 40 comes to a close, I must conclude that it's been good. It has helped to admit verbally -- out loud -- to complete strangers that I am forty, when the situation so arises that such a confessional is appropriate. It is fabulous to hear that I don't look it!
Also, it was fabulous to received the gift of a DSLR camera for 40th birthday from my family and extended family. I have discovered a creative outlet for myself that I am eager to explore just for the fun of it, without any agenda, without any pressure to perform. As for my other "Embracing 40" goals, I'll update you on my status in January.
Being Graciously Passionate. There are still issues that I'm passionate about. Being missional in one's community. Sacrificing some of our prosperity to provide for the needs of the poor near and far. Budgeting, avoiding debt financing as much as possible, paying with cash instead of credit. Practicing hospitality, opening our homes to immigrants and newcomers. Taking ownership of our children's education, including spiritual education, even though our kids are attending institutions dedicated to teaching. Avoiding excessive uses of technology, especially if the technology reduces meaningful, face-to-face interactions. I could go on. Forgive me reader, if at times, this blog ends up being a "soap box". Thank you reader, for listening to me prattle on about something that is important to me. I am still learning to be graciously passionate, understanding that not everyone thinks the way that I do to the extent that I do (and that is okay). After all, I am not passionate about traditional Women's Ministries in churches or enrolling my children in competitive sports programs. I can understand why it is important to others. But I may not get involved as others do.
I should go to bed now, and God willing, wake up to a new year of possibilities. Thank you Lord Jesus for the gift of 2014.