Advent 15: Silly
I realize I struggle with silliness. I think it was the way I was raised. Your Nana & Nani's generation and culture followed the norm, "Children should be seen and not heard." This was especially true in the presence of an elder or older guests. As a kid, you didn't talk. You only spoke when spoken to. Otherwise you just listened. Over time, and after being in Canada for a while, our family's dinner table conversations were more interactive and lively. But I don't think I was ever encouraged to be silly.
So I catch myself curbing the silliness levels of you, my daughter, which at times is necessary to do. But my shortcoming is that I often want you to be like what I was expected to be, as the eldest daughter of our family: serious, obedient, responsible, proper, demure. I forget that you may very well have a different personality than I did when I was younger. I often -- too often -- forget that you are only six and that you love to live life with enthusiasm and excitement. And silliness.
Today, I will plan some intentional silliness, even though I don't feel that well and rather shut the world out for a while. Therefore, instead of wallowing in how I feel, I will be thankful for silliness. And be silly too. With you.
