Advent 16: Church
I have finally reached the point when I can proclaim with sincerity, "I am thankful for my church and I actually like it." Now I am praying that God will help me LOVE my place of worship. I don't mean love as a feeling of euphoria or infatuation where I become giddy talking about where I attend for corporate Christian gathering. I mean the 1 Corinthians 13 kind of love, where I love in spite of frustrations or hurts or imperfections. So, here is my prayer:
Dear Lord,
I pray that you will help me love my church as you love this group of believers. May I be patient, especially when things don't go the way I think they should. I pray that I will speak kindly of my church when rubbing shoulders with those on the outside. I ask that I will not boast when things are going extremely well, because all that we are is because of your Grace and Power. Please, may I not be proud when I use my talents and passions to serve others (and receive affirmation). May I not be rude to others in my church, especially if they are not my favourite kind of person. I pray that I will not be selfish and expect the church to meet all my spiritual/social/emotional/intellectual/physical needs, because only YOU can ultimately do that through methods you deem best. Help me not to be easily angered in face of disagreements. I implore that I will not remember the wrongs that have been done against me or my family, especially since you are the author of forgiveness. I petition that you will assist our family to never give up or stop trusting or lose hope. May we refuse to quit, unless you ask us to. May we understand that love NEVER fails.
In Jesus' Strong, Merciful Name,
AMEN
