High Fat; Low Sugar
Life is full of changes. And when I have a certain rhythm going on in life, potential changes to that rhythm require adjustment. So, change can stress me out. Yet, I also welcome change. It implies a new season, a new way of thinking, a new approach to life.
My view on food is changing. Back in the day I thought low-fat and multi-grain was the way to go. Now, I am not too sure. As I do sporadic reading, visit Naturopaths and listen to people who have made significant lifestyle changes, I am questioning the health kicks of the past. For instance, take fat. Fat is not that bad of a thing any more, as long as it is good fat. So, I cook with more healthy fats such as olive oil, coconut oil, and butter. I eat more nuts and avocado. And while I still purchase lean meat, I am more lenient on my consumption of good 'ole bacon.
And while I am eating more fat, I am attempting to lower our family's sugar consumption, especially refined sugar. Our society's overindulgence of sugar is being seriously questioned by organizations such as the World Health Organization. Sugar is being viewed as the "new tobacco" and more and more people with health issues are being asked to avoid it (except what is naturally found in fruits and vegetables).
Truthfully kids, I cringe when holidays come around, as sugar induced frenzies seem to be part of the celebration. You two received a whack load of candy and chocolate from your kind and generous relatives during the Easter season (and while you are not looking, I actually passed along significant portions of it to your Daddy for his Jeopardy competitions at school). I am not averse to enjoying a treat once-in-a-while. But let's try not to go overboard in that once-in-a-while. Otherwise that once-in-a-while amount stretches out into a daily request of "Can we have candy today?" It drives me bonkers.
I am also questioning the amount of sugar we add to our "healthy" foods. Take adding sugar in corn, sugar in strawberries, sugar in meat dishes, sugar in applesauce, sugar in cereals, over 1/2 cup sugar in muffins (it's not a muffin then people, it's a cupcake). Is it really necessary to add as much as the recipe suggests? Why do we feel we need to over-sweeten these foods? Isn't the glorious natural taste of these items good enough? Or have we just spoiled our taste buds to expect a certain flavour?
The other day I made a berry crisp inspired by a friend's Paleo (grain-, dairy- and refined sugar-free) cookbook. The base was just berries. No sugar, no corn starch, no flour. The topping was ground almonds and coconut mixed with melted butter, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 2 Tbsp of maple syrup. I baked it at 375°F for 30 minutes. You know what kids? Everyone in our family enjoyed it. True, you all consumed it with some ice cream. But at least I had a healthier dessert for my gut.
Change is good.
My view on food is changing. Back in the day I thought low-fat and multi-grain was the way to go. Now, I am not too sure. As I do sporadic reading, visit Naturopaths and listen to people who have made significant lifestyle changes, I am questioning the health kicks of the past. For instance, take fat. Fat is not that bad of a thing any more, as long as it is good fat. So, I cook with more healthy fats such as olive oil, coconut oil, and butter. I eat more nuts and avocado. And while I still purchase lean meat, I am more lenient on my consumption of good 'ole bacon.
And while I am eating more fat, I am attempting to lower our family's sugar consumption, especially refined sugar. Our society's overindulgence of sugar is being seriously questioned by organizations such as the World Health Organization. Sugar is being viewed as the "new tobacco" and more and more people with health issues are being asked to avoid it (except what is naturally found in fruits and vegetables).
Truthfully kids, I cringe when holidays come around, as sugar induced frenzies seem to be part of the celebration. You two received a whack load of candy and chocolate from your kind and generous relatives during the Easter season (and while you are not looking, I actually passed along significant portions of it to your Daddy for his Jeopardy competitions at school). I am not averse to enjoying a treat once-in-a-while. But let's try not to go overboard in that once-in-a-while. Otherwise that once-in-a-while amount stretches out into a daily request of "Can we have candy today?" It drives me bonkers.
I am also questioning the amount of sugar we add to our "healthy" foods. Take adding sugar in corn, sugar in strawberries, sugar in meat dishes, sugar in applesauce, sugar in cereals, over 1/2 cup sugar in muffins (it's not a muffin then people, it's a cupcake). Is it really necessary to add as much as the recipe suggests? Why do we feel we need to over-sweeten these foods? Isn't the glorious natural taste of these items good enough? Or have we just spoiled our taste buds to expect a certain flavour?
The other day I made a berry crisp inspired by a friend's Paleo (grain-, dairy- and refined sugar-free) cookbook. The base was just berries. No sugar, no corn starch, no flour. The topping was ground almonds and coconut mixed with melted butter, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 2 Tbsp of maple syrup. I baked it at 375°F for 30 minutes. You know what kids? Everyone in our family enjoyed it. True, you all consumed it with some ice cream. But at least I had a healthier dessert for my gut.
Change is good.