My Budgeting Story
I presented at my Mom's Group today on the topic of budgeting. Here is my introduction to the session:
Let me begin with a disclaimer or two. I do not have any professional training in the area of budgeting. I do not have any degrees in accounting, finance, and business. I’ve never worked in a bank, therefore, I will not be able to give you any advice on how much money to save for retirement, which mortgage is best, or what your financial portfolio should look like. Truthfully, if you claim to know the answers to these questions, do tell me (for free).
However, I am not completely useless, rest assured. Budgeting is a hobby for me, believe-it-or-not. I actually get excited, and a bit anxious, at the beginning of every month as I sit at my computer crunching numbers for my family. And even though I come to you with no formal credentials, I do humbly stand before you as a testament of the many lessons God has taught me about money through my 39+ years of life as a daughter, sister, friend, wife, mother, researcher, and high school math/science teacher.
So, what do I believe and value about money, budgeting, and personal finances? After all, it is important for all of us to know what we believe and value, because beliefs and values guide our decision making in life.
I believe God own’s it all. It is ALL His, and His alone. There are so many times I need to meditate on that fact, especially when my heart races in the face of financial crisis. He owns it all! He provides what I need. He can take it way. He can bless me with more. In the end, it is up to Him. So, I need to listen to Him more in the area of “stuff”. And, I need to be wise with what He has given me.
I believe you can’t have it all. But you can have a few things that you value. I have learned this by watching my immigrant parents struggle to make Canada their home. They came here to give their children more opportunities to thrive in life, both materially and spiritually. Even so, they knew they were not in a financial position to give us whatever we wanted. They had four children to support on one salary while assisting needy relatives in India. We too were asked to sacrifice things like music lessons, sports clubs, designer clothing, technological gadgets, etc. But don’t feel sorry for me. My parents placed a high value on education. They were both teachers. And they were both Christians. Therefore, they invested much in their children’s education, both intellectually and spiritually. Because of their financial support, I received a Christian High School education at a semi-private school. My parents also assisted me with my accommodation as I earned two degrees at university. In addition, they were partners with me as I served God through Mission-related projects in Ireland, Mexico and Hong Kong. My parents also valued fostering bonds with their Indian ethnicity. I have travelled to India three times with my family to experience their culture and extended relatives. I am so blessed.
I believe this tangible world isn’t the be all and end all. My life is eternal. And since I believe in Jesus Christ’s death for my sins and His resurrection from the dead, when I physically die here, I will be born on the other side, in Heaven. Therefore, I am learning not to worry so much about now. Yes, we should save for our retirements. Yes, we should enjoy this life God has given to us and have a little fun on earth. But, we should not be obsessed with this life here and now – especially all of us who live in a first world country, like Canada. I am learning to invest in eternal things. God is speaking to me about assisting the poor in our community and in other countries. He is opening my eyes to needs within my own family & friends and asking me to support them through our finances. He is propelling me to sponsor missionaries who often risk their lives to go show the Love of Jesus Christ through word and deed. He is asking me to speak to my children, and others like you, that life isn’t about what we want, really. It is about using what we have for God’s glory. Because in the end, at my funeral, I don’t think anyone will care about the house that I had or the car that I drove. Instead, I hope they will see God who did something through me. I hope people will see the eternal rather than the temporal.
Let me begin with a disclaimer or two. I do not have any professional training in the area of budgeting. I do not have any degrees in accounting, finance, and business. I’ve never worked in a bank, therefore, I will not be able to give you any advice on how much money to save for retirement, which mortgage is best, or what your financial portfolio should look like. Truthfully, if you claim to know the answers to these questions, do tell me (for free).
However, I am not completely useless, rest assured. Budgeting is a hobby for me, believe-it-or-not. I actually get excited, and a bit anxious, at the beginning of every month as I sit at my computer crunching numbers for my family. And even though I come to you with no formal credentials, I do humbly stand before you as a testament of the many lessons God has taught me about money through my 39+ years of life as a daughter, sister, friend, wife, mother, researcher, and high school math/science teacher.
So, what do I believe and value about money, budgeting, and personal finances? After all, it is important for all of us to know what we believe and value, because beliefs and values guide our decision making in life.
I believe God own’s it all. It is ALL His, and His alone. There are so many times I need to meditate on that fact, especially when my heart races in the face of financial crisis. He owns it all! He provides what I need. He can take it way. He can bless me with more. In the end, it is up to Him. So, I need to listen to Him more in the area of “stuff”. And, I need to be wise with what He has given me.
I believe you can’t have it all. But you can have a few things that you value. I have learned this by watching my immigrant parents struggle to make Canada their home. They came here to give their children more opportunities to thrive in life, both materially and spiritually. Even so, they knew they were not in a financial position to give us whatever we wanted. They had four children to support on one salary while assisting needy relatives in India. We too were asked to sacrifice things like music lessons, sports clubs, designer clothing, technological gadgets, etc. But don’t feel sorry for me. My parents placed a high value on education. They were both teachers. And they were both Christians. Therefore, they invested much in their children’s education, both intellectually and spiritually. Because of their financial support, I received a Christian High School education at a semi-private school. My parents also assisted me with my accommodation as I earned two degrees at university. In addition, they were partners with me as I served God through Mission-related projects in Ireland, Mexico and Hong Kong. My parents also valued fostering bonds with their Indian ethnicity. I have travelled to India three times with my family to experience their culture and extended relatives. I am so blessed.
I believe this tangible world isn’t the be all and end all. My life is eternal. And since I believe in Jesus Christ’s death for my sins and His resurrection from the dead, when I physically die here, I will be born on the other side, in Heaven. Therefore, I am learning not to worry so much about now. Yes, we should save for our retirements. Yes, we should enjoy this life God has given to us and have a little fun on earth. But, we should not be obsessed with this life here and now – especially all of us who live in a first world country, like Canada. I am learning to invest in eternal things. God is speaking to me about assisting the poor in our community and in other countries. He is opening my eyes to needs within my own family & friends and asking me to support them through our finances. He is propelling me to sponsor missionaries who often risk their lives to go show the Love of Jesus Christ through word and deed. He is asking me to speak to my children, and others like you, that life isn’t about what we want, really. It is about using what we have for God’s glory. Because in the end, at my funeral, I don’t think anyone will care about the house that I had or the car that I drove. Instead, I hope they will see God who did something through me. I hope people will see the eternal rather than the temporal.