Thankfulness #31: Negative Funk
It is one of those moments when my mind is in a negative funk. You am sure you know what I am talking about. That gray dismal cloud descends on your spirit and everything becomes annoying, inconvenient, and unfair. Usually there is a trigger, or two (or three). Like, not feeling 100%, hormones, insecurity, and a December budget that is dwindling faster than anticipated (ironically, I am presenting on budgeting on Tuesday -- maybe I should be the one listening). Then, I witness evidence of my off-balance state. My voice rises in frustration and anger in reaction to the ones around me (sometimes justified, sometimes not). *sigh* I am so human. So I can sit here and type away my miseries. Or I can praise God for all that is good. I'll choose the latter.
I am thankful that I am a stay-at-home-mom. Oh, it isn't easy, believe me. There are days I do envy the working Mom and wish I had some regular outlet to stimulate my intellect. But, I do not desire that life, for now. I cherish reducing the chaos at this stage of parenting. The thought of juggling work, daycare, and all the other 101 things I do to assist this family in running normally is too much to mentally handle. So I accept the act of sacrificing my career and possessing zero income as a gift.
I am thankful for winter days. I can't believe I wrote that, considering the fact that I don't like being cold. However, there is something warm about this time of year. I enjoy the heat from my oven as I bake cookies, casseroles, and gluten-free bread. I am so, so grateful when our furnace kicks in and heats our house during those crazy cold snaps. I truly cherish the joy our family receives from skating and sledding (little J. has started skating and he is fearless!). And I appreciate the general friendliness of people during this time of year as they prepare for the Christmas holidays.
I am thankful for my daughter's school. Oh, I know the public school system is far from perfect as there are many policies and practices that I disagree with. But, overall, I am thankful that my daughter is benefiting from an excellent teacher who truly has my daughter's best interest at heart. Today I watched her perform in her Christmas concert. It was fun, beautiful, and full of joy.
I am thankful for the television. Another thing I can't believe I wrote down! Hey, I'm almost forty. I hang out with preschoolers when most people my age have teenagers. I don't have childcare readily available. Nor that twenty-something energy. So, plugging my kids into some show so I can have a much needed nap is not a bad idea. Don't worry, I have Mommy radar specially attuned to the voices and cries of my kids.
I am thankful for my convictions. Sometimes is it difficult to live by what I believe in, especially in the small seemingly insignificant things. I am not on Facebook. I avoid product parties. Right way, these two decisions have removed me from some ways women in my age and stage connect. At times, I feel insignificant in not knowing the going-ons of the people around me. But what can I do? I can't escape who I am and what I believe in. Does that mean I will never join social media or attend some party that is trying to sell me over-priced candles? No, not really. It just means that today, I will stick to my convictions, regardless of the consequences. I will choose to be more reclusive for the sake of personal sanity and peace, even though I may not have as many "friends".
The sun is starting to shine again. That's good...
I am thankful that I am a stay-at-home-mom. Oh, it isn't easy, believe me. There are days I do envy the working Mom and wish I had some regular outlet to stimulate my intellect. But, I do not desire that life, for now. I cherish reducing the chaos at this stage of parenting. The thought of juggling work, daycare, and all the other 101 things I do to assist this family in running normally is too much to mentally handle. So I accept the act of sacrificing my career and possessing zero income as a gift.
I am thankful for winter days. I can't believe I wrote that, considering the fact that I don't like being cold. However, there is something warm about this time of year. I enjoy the heat from my oven as I bake cookies, casseroles, and gluten-free bread. I am so, so grateful when our furnace kicks in and heats our house during those crazy cold snaps. I truly cherish the joy our family receives from skating and sledding (little J. has started skating and he is fearless!). And I appreciate the general friendliness of people during this time of year as they prepare for the Christmas holidays.
I am thankful for my daughter's school. Oh, I know the public school system is far from perfect as there are many policies and practices that I disagree with. But, overall, I am thankful that my daughter is benefiting from an excellent teacher who truly has my daughter's best interest at heart. Today I watched her perform in her Christmas concert. It was fun, beautiful, and full of joy.
I am thankful for the television. Another thing I can't believe I wrote down! Hey, I'm almost forty. I hang out with preschoolers when most people my age have teenagers. I don't have childcare readily available. Nor that twenty-something energy. So, plugging my kids into some show so I can have a much needed nap is not a bad idea. Don't worry, I have Mommy radar specially attuned to the voices and cries of my kids.
I am thankful for my convictions. Sometimes is it difficult to live by what I believe in, especially in the small seemingly insignificant things. I am not on Facebook. I avoid product parties. Right way, these two decisions have removed me from some ways women in my age and stage connect. At times, I feel insignificant in not knowing the going-ons of the people around me. But what can I do? I can't escape who I am and what I believe in. Does that mean I will never join social media or attend some party that is trying to sell me over-priced candles? No, not really. It just means that today, I will stick to my convictions, regardless of the consequences. I will choose to be more reclusive for the sake of personal sanity and peace, even though I may not have as many "friends".
The sun is starting to shine again. That's good...