Gratefulness. Grace. Interferences.
Passion Week has come and gone. And I feel like my head is still whirling from the activity. I asked the Lord to guide me towards people who needed to experience God's love in a tangible way. Yet, in my quest to serve others, God turned around and taught me lessons through each act of blessing.
Early in the week, I diligently worked all afternoon to put together a pot of soup, bacon & cheese muffins, and dessert for a lady in our church who is recovering from surgery. When I placed the box full of fresh food in her hands, she was near tears. "You are so sweet. Thank you." "Well, this is what the church is for," came my reply. I walk away with a few tears in my eyes. She has been battling sickness after sickness. And she is so grateful for the little things. She is a picture of thankfulness. How often do I shrug off God's blessings without a second thought? Too often.
Mid-week, my husband and I drove one hour out of the city to watch family perform in an Easter Cantata. In addition, I was armed with a cheque to support my niece's participation in the 30 Hour Famine. I felt pretty good about myself. Then the Cantata began. It was amazing. As I watched "Christ" stumble in his attempt to lay down on the cross, I cried. When "Mary" recounted her little boy growing up from infancy to die a criminal's death, my husband and I wept. I realized that my little attempts to bless others are because of God's magnificent grace. Grace that cost the life of God's son Jesus.
At the end of the week, we entertained several friends and family. In addition to the usual preparations, I woke up at night to transfer my daughter to alternative sleeping quarters during extended middle-of-the-night crying episodes. I didn't want her to disturb our guests in the adjacent room. I was frustrated with my daughter. She was being an inconvenience. Then it hit me. It isn't about ME. My daughter is part of my life now. And there will be times when she will "interfere" with my attempts to serve God. And embracing these interferences are probably the biggest ways I can please my Maker.
Three lessons. Be grateful for the little things. My goodness is attributed to the Grace of God. Embrace the interferences: God is at work here. What a week!
Early in the week, I diligently worked all afternoon to put together a pot of soup, bacon & cheese muffins, and dessert for a lady in our church who is recovering from surgery. When I placed the box full of fresh food in her hands, she was near tears. "You are so sweet. Thank you." "Well, this is what the church is for," came my reply. I walk away with a few tears in my eyes. She has been battling sickness after sickness. And she is so grateful for the little things. She is a picture of thankfulness. How often do I shrug off God's blessings without a second thought? Too often.
Mid-week, my husband and I drove one hour out of the city to watch family perform in an Easter Cantata. In addition, I was armed with a cheque to support my niece's participation in the 30 Hour Famine. I felt pretty good about myself. Then the Cantata began. It was amazing. As I watched "Christ" stumble in his attempt to lay down on the cross, I cried. When "Mary" recounted her little boy growing up from infancy to die a criminal's death, my husband and I wept. I realized that my little attempts to bless others are because of God's magnificent grace. Grace that cost the life of God's son Jesus.
At the end of the week, we entertained several friends and family. In addition to the usual preparations, I woke up at night to transfer my daughter to alternative sleeping quarters during extended middle-of-the-night crying episodes. I didn't want her to disturb our guests in the adjacent room. I was frustrated with my daughter. She was being an inconvenience. Then it hit me. It isn't about ME. My daughter is part of my life now. And there will be times when she will "interfere" with my attempts to serve God. And embracing these interferences are probably the biggest ways I can please my Maker.
Three lessons. Be grateful for the little things. My goodness is attributed to the Grace of God. Embrace the interferences: God is at work here. What a week!