Goodbye Good Start
This time last year I was a new mom. Our daughter was very jaundice. She had to be supplemented with formula when she was less than a week old. My body wasn't able to meet her nutritional needs. At six weeks of age, she made the complete switch to formula. There. I said it. My daughter was a formula baby.
Prior to the switch, my husband and I did all the right things. We attended the classes. We visited lactation consultants. We talked to doctors. We tried herbal remedies. We rented pumps and utilized syringes. We followed feeding schedules. We fed on demand. I could go on...
And I received far too much advice from far too many people.
When my husband and I stood in the formula aisle faced with decision of choosing an alternative form of nutrition for our baby, I wept. I was a mess. My husband had to pick the formula. After all, I wanted the best for my child. Formula was second best.
Today as I mixed the last batch of Nestle Good Start, I cried. It was like I was saying goodbye to a friend that I haven't appreciated that much over the past year. To make up for my ungratefulness, I have come up several positives about my experience. Note: This is NOT an advocacy of formula over breastfeeding. I still believe the latter option is the best for a baby's growth and development.
1. She enjoyed Nestle Good Start. It was easy on her digestive system. She did not get constipated. Plus I didn't suffer from any of those ugly infections that I've heard about.
2. My daughter is not overweight, unhealthy, or unintelligent in comparison to her breastfed counterparts. She is normal. (Sadly, the classes that we attended made it sound like our child would be a fat moron who would have chronic medical problems if she was on formula.)
3. My husband and our parents were able to feed our daughter in addition to me. Though, I was still the main person who fed her. It was extremely important for me to be there for my daughter just like a nursing mother.
4. Since we did not prop bottles, we enjoyed cuddling and relaxing with our little girl as she fed. It was a comfort to know that she was full after a feeding. In the early weeks of her life, she would still be screaming after an hour feed due to hunger.
5. While the cost of formula added about $100 to our monthly grocery bill, it was not the $300+ that was quoted at the classes. WHERE do they get that number from? Talk about freaking people out!
6. Purchasing Nestle Good Start had a few side benefits. We enjoyed approximately 10 free movie rentals including popcorn. She consumed a few complimentary Nestle Infant Cereals after 6 months of age. Who would have thought?
7. Most people I have met have been understanding of our situation (while others gave me the impression that I didn't try hard enough). Special thanks to both sets of parents, our siblings, and our church. Many of our friends have been sympathetic. Thank you for not judging.
Goodbye Good Start. It was a blessed year.
Prior to the switch, my husband and I did all the right things. We attended the classes. We visited lactation consultants. We talked to doctors. We tried herbal remedies. We rented pumps and utilized syringes. We followed feeding schedules. We fed on demand. I could go on...
And I received far too much advice from far too many people.
When my husband and I stood in the formula aisle faced with decision of choosing an alternative form of nutrition for our baby, I wept. I was a mess. My husband had to pick the formula. After all, I wanted the best for my child. Formula was second best.
Today as I mixed the last batch of Nestle Good Start, I cried. It was like I was saying goodbye to a friend that I haven't appreciated that much over the past year. To make up for my ungratefulness, I have come up several positives about my experience. Note: This is NOT an advocacy of formula over breastfeeding. I still believe the latter option is the best for a baby's growth and development.
1. She enjoyed Nestle Good Start. It was easy on her digestive system. She did not get constipated. Plus I didn't suffer from any of those ugly infections that I've heard about.
2. My daughter is not overweight, unhealthy, or unintelligent in comparison to her breastfed counterparts. She is normal. (Sadly, the classes that we attended made it sound like our child would be a fat moron who would have chronic medical problems if she was on formula.)
3. My husband and our parents were able to feed our daughter in addition to me. Though, I was still the main person who fed her. It was extremely important for me to be there for my daughter just like a nursing mother.
4. Since we did not prop bottles, we enjoyed cuddling and relaxing with our little girl as she fed. It was a comfort to know that she was full after a feeding. In the early weeks of her life, she would still be screaming after an hour feed due to hunger.
5. While the cost of formula added about $100 to our monthly grocery bill, it was not the $300+ that was quoted at the classes. WHERE do they get that number from? Talk about freaking people out!
6. Purchasing Nestle Good Start had a few side benefits. We enjoyed approximately 10 free movie rentals including popcorn. She consumed a few complimentary Nestle Infant Cereals after 6 months of age. Who would have thought?
7. Most people I have met have been understanding of our situation (while others gave me the impression that I didn't try hard enough). Special thanks to both sets of parents, our siblings, and our church. Many of our friends have been sympathetic. Thank you for not judging.
Goodbye Good Start. It was a blessed year.