Resolution: To Live With Grace

I have seen everything in this meaningless life, including the death of good young people and the long life of wicked people. So don’t be too good or too wise! Why destroy yourself? On the other hand, don’t be too wicked either. Don’t be a fool! Why die before your time? Pay attention to these instructions, for anyone who fears God will avoid both extremes. (King Solomon, Ecclesiastes 7:15-18, NLT)

Over the past year, I have been studying King Solomon's life. I first read 2 Chronicles 1 - 9 which documents his reign. These chapters pay special attention to King Solomon's efforts in building a magnificent Temple of the Lord. Solomon is depicted as the "perfect king", a formidable spiritual leader of Israel. This unscathed image of Solomon is intentional. The author of the Chronicles purposefully represents Solomon (and David for that matter) as an image of the Messiah.

Yet the book of Ecclesiastes reveals a different side of the great King. Solomon is disillusioned, cynical, and perplexed by the inconsistencies of life. According to him, everything is meaningless. However the book is full of thoughtful reflections on life and nuggets of wisdom.

On January 1, 2009, I read the entire book of Ecclesiastes in one sitting. Many portions of the book were very familiar to me. But when I stumbled upon the above verses, I had to pause for a moment. I did not recall reading this section of the book before.

I believe that God wanted me to read this section to remind me to live my life with GRACE. Sometimes in my efforts to NOT be too wicked, I strive towards being too wise. In the process, I become mentally and emotionally exhausted. I create a standard for myself that is virtually unattainable. Solomon's question, "Why destroy yourself?" is very applicable to me. Therefore, I resolve to live this year with GRACE. It is my prayer that I will bestow grace towards myself and others just as God freely bestows grace towards us.

Happy New Year!

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now