Status: Avoiding Boxing Day Sales


I have a love/hate relationship with Christmas shopping. I do not enjoy fighting traffic, vying for a parking spot, and discovering that the one item that I really needed to purchase is gone. I roll my eyes in disgust when Christmas carol after Christmas carol is played to death in the background of every store. I detest waiting in line for half an hour or more to purchase a few measly items. And I really get annoyed with I am trying to cope with frigid winter temperatures during the whole process.

(Aside: Though I have a new appreciation for online shopping. You can avoid almost all of the above problems!)

However, I enjoy saving up for Christmas and then delightfully spending all the money set aside to celebrate Christ's birth. I am thrilled when I purchase an item for a special person in my life and he or she is excited to receive it. I count it a privilege to assist the underprivileged during this season of giving. And I love opening gifts on Christmas day (especially with jubliant Christmas music adding to the ambience!). I still experience a child-like enthusiasm when I rip off the colorful wrappings to behold the gift I desired.

Even though I am glad that the hustle and bustle of the season is coming to an end, I am always a little sad when the anticipation of December fades away into the cold month of January. That's okay. I can look forward to next year when my daughter will be more into the celebration of Christmas (this year, she was more interested in the wrapping paper!). In the meanwhile, I will avoid all Boxing Day sales for the rest of the holidays and hibernate indoors.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now