Stuck in Junior High
Usually there is some trigger. Unbalanced hormones. A nasty
head cold. The number in the chequing account. Lack of sleep. Some disappointment. Crazy kids (being
normal kids). Then you start spiraling down, to that murky place where reality
blurs with fiction and thoughts become irrational.
He wants to give this all to you, and more. Will
you open your heart and accept it? Or do you want to be stuck in Junior High
forever?
I am ugly. The lie
reverberates through your head as you look at other women in top shape with the
cute multi-highlighted haircuts to match. Why
can’t I dress like that? My wardrobe is so out of date. Ugh. You covet the
trendy boots to the knee, the sleek leggings (that make you look like a frump)
and the vibrant layers of cloth draped around the neck. If I wore a scarf like that, I’d look like I’m choking. {sigh.} I am so
stuck in the 1990’s.
Nobody wants to be
friends with me. So you jump to an untruth, knowing full well that God has
blessed you with close friends who not only love you, but really like hanging
out with you. And they share their highs and lows with you (and you have the
freedom to do the same). But you want to feel bad because in that moment (in
that place) you felt bad – alone – all by yourself, while everyone around you
seemed to laugh and share with someone other than you. I wish I was cool so people would be friends with me.
I am destined to
insignificance. You wonder what’s better. Being stuck in the “dark ages” of
woman’s rights, where it was just expected for Mothers to stay home? Or being
liberated to actualize any career, while choosing to stay home as a Mother? Do people know that I’m smart? Or do people
think I only have the intellectual capability to do laundry? You question
why our society equates success with a six figure salary and a house to match.
All the while belittling household tasks that, at times, you enjoy.
Then you realize you are back there again, at that difficult
age, when puberty hit and everything turned upside down. Yup. You guessed it.
Junior High. Probably one of the most difficult times in a young woman’s life.
All those feelings of ugliness, loneliness and insignificance rush back and hit
you like a ton of bricks. You can practically imagine yourself again, as that
awkward thirteen year old, trying hard to fit with the cool girls while
nibbling on that all-too-smelly tuna fish sandwich and wearing clothes from the
bargain rack at SAAN.
Why do you let yourself go back there again?
The truth is, you are beautiful. You are worthy of
friendship. You are significant. It is not because of what you wear or the
number on the weigh scale. It is not because of how many friends you have on
Facebook or how many individuals call you up for a face-to-face coffee date. It
is nothing to do with what you did way back then, what you are doing today or what you
plan to do someday. Rather, it has everything to do with God and how He views you. He
SEES you. He authentically sees you. He sees all your flaws and mess-ups. He
knows how you feel deep, deep down inside. He understands your fears and
inadequacies. Yet, He chooses to be madly in-love with you. He chooses to
redeem you from sin and death – everyday – so you can be friends with Divinity
now and forever. He chooses to transform you by removing the dirt and grime
from your insides, so you shine forth beautiful. He chooses to grant you the
joy to find significance in today, in the exciting, in the crazy and in the mundane.