On Being a Missionary (Here?)
My dear children, one day you will be faced with the realities of the "Great Commission", a command issued by Jesus to His disciples two thousand years ago in Matthew 28:18-20:
Thus, I ask, what if we truly believed we were missionaries to the cities and towns and villages we live in, here in "Christian influenced" North America? How would this idea change how we approach our day-to-day life, our work, our schools, our church ministries, our prayers, and our relationships? Would things be the same? Or would they be different?
I truly believe, "We are all called to be the Gospel among the people," (Being a Missionary, MB Mission). So, what will this calling look like in your near future? Who is God leading you to? Who is supposed to hear about Jesus through you?
One day, you may have no answers as to who you should reach out to. That day, I challenge you to pray and ask God to show you who that person is. I do believe God will answer. And when He does answer, I encourage you start building an authentic, loving relationship with that person.
That being said, that day, you may sense the Holy Spirit leading you to become a missionary in a different cultural context. You may be considering a short term assignment or a long term commitment. If this is you, my dear child, I encourage you to be obedient. Pursue that call knowing that God will provide your needs for the challenges and joys ahead.
In the meanwhile, I will keep you close to me, my little disciples. :)
(Dear Reader, I am sharing a version of this post in my church this coming Sunday. If you believe in prayer, please pray that I will be able to communicate these words for His Glory and Honor. Thank you.)
Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.Often when we contemplate the "Great Commission", we equate it with the work of a Missionary, in another country. We forget that ALL believers are entrusted with sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ in Word and Deed.
Thus, I ask, what if we truly believed we were missionaries to the cities and towns and villages we live in, here in "Christian influenced" North America? How would this idea change how we approach our day-to-day life, our work, our schools, our church ministries, our prayers, and our relationships? Would things be the same? Or would they be different?
I truly believe, "We are all called to be the Gospel among the people," (Being a Missionary, MB Mission). So, what will this calling look like in your near future? Who is God leading you to? Who is supposed to hear about Jesus through you?
One day, you may have no answers as to who you should reach out to. That day, I challenge you to pray and ask God to show you who that person is. I do believe God will answer. And when He does answer, I encourage you start building an authentic, loving relationship with that person.
That being said, that day, you may sense the Holy Spirit leading you to become a missionary in a different cultural context. You may be considering a short term assignment or a long term commitment. If this is you, my dear child, I encourage you to be obedient. Pursue that call knowing that God will provide your needs for the challenges and joys ahead.
In the meanwhile, I will keep you close to me, my little disciples. :)
(Dear Reader, I am sharing a version of this post in my church this coming Sunday. If you believe in prayer, please pray that I will be able to communicate these words for His Glory and Honor. Thank you.)