Imperfect Parenting, Embracing Grace
It began yesterday. My son was totally excited about his AWANA club. He repeated his Bible verse over and over again to assure me that it was memorized. He enthusiastically called out to his sister as she headed toward her class, "Have fun at school today!" Then, he witnessed a bunch of kids crying and clinging to their parents. Something changed in his little brain and he entered fight or flight mode. I tried for about twenty minutes to persuade him to stay. Instead of joining in the game, he bellowed, "I'm tired. I'm really, really tired!" My husband attempted to convince and bribe. Nope. No luck. Our son was determined. He was not staying there.
I was visibly annoyed. All my plans for accomplishing much needed grocery shopping before a very busy weekend of entertaining vanished. And since my husband's pile of work at school was more pressing than my agenda, I had to sacrifice my evening for the sake of a distraught little boy. "Fine," I said to my son, "I'm taking you home and putting you to bed if you are soooo tired." And that's what I did.
I spend the rest of the evening nursing my wounds, over analysing the situation. I felt bad, that several Moms saw the annoyance on my face. "What must they think of me? There are probably talking about me right now, that I lacked patience," I thought. But then I let my misery go as I realized that I should not be so worried about what others think of me. Whatever! I'm not perfect. I need grace. I am doing the best I can.
This morning, God's grace shined on me by equipping me with patience and wisdom to now deal with my over-tired, over-stimulated daughter (she had a weekend with both sets of grandparents and is still recovering). This morning, when asked to get out of bed and use the bathroom, she flipped out. (I thought tantrums were over. I guess not.) When given a choice to change her attitude, or face the consequences, she decided to stubbornly sit there staring at me with those precious hazel eyes. She lost her television privileges for the next day (today is a non-t.v. day). Well, that got her yelling and sitting more defiantly on her bed. I am stressing out inside, since she might just miss the bus. Obviously my time concern was not penetrating her senses at that precise moment. So I gave up. "Okay then, if you are not going to change your attitude right now and start eating your breakfast, I will phone your school and say you cannot come because you have a bad attitude. And Miss R. will find out." Obedience was immediate on my daughter's part, since she thankfully knows I am a woman of my words. (And she adores her KG teacher!)
My poor daughter. She ate her breakfast crying, "Mommy, you hurt my feelings by saying I have a bad attitude."
"But it's the truth. You were having a bad attitude." I explained.
"I try to have a good attitude. But it is hard."
"I know it's hard. That is why you need the Holy Spirit to help you. When you ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins and help you live your life, then His Holy Spirit comes and lives inside of you. He helps you do the right thing. Do you want to ask Jesus to do that right now?" You shake your head in a firm no. "That's okay. Do it when you are ready."
Thankfully, we made it to the bus stop with time to spare. I gave my daughter a hug and told her I loved her. I spent the rest of the morning with my son who did benefit from having an extra hour of sleep last night. Our conflicts ended well, even though neither side was perfect.
So I pray today, that God will work in the heart of my children. And mine. That He will overshadow our lives with His goodness, grace and mercy in the midst of our imperfections. We need you. Dear Lord, hear my prayer.
I was visibly annoyed. All my plans for accomplishing much needed grocery shopping before a very busy weekend of entertaining vanished. And since my husband's pile of work at school was more pressing than my agenda, I had to sacrifice my evening for the sake of a distraught little boy. "Fine," I said to my son, "I'm taking you home and putting you to bed if you are soooo tired." And that's what I did.
I spend the rest of the evening nursing my wounds, over analysing the situation. I felt bad, that several Moms saw the annoyance on my face. "What must they think of me? There are probably talking about me right now, that I lacked patience," I thought. But then I let my misery go as I realized that I should not be so worried about what others think of me. Whatever! I'm not perfect. I need grace. I am doing the best I can.
This morning, God's grace shined on me by equipping me with patience and wisdom to now deal with my over-tired, over-stimulated daughter (she had a weekend with both sets of grandparents and is still recovering). This morning, when asked to get out of bed and use the bathroom, she flipped out. (I thought tantrums were over. I guess not.) When given a choice to change her attitude, or face the consequences, she decided to stubbornly sit there staring at me with those precious hazel eyes. She lost her television privileges for the next day (today is a non-t.v. day). Well, that got her yelling and sitting more defiantly on her bed. I am stressing out inside, since she might just miss the bus. Obviously my time concern was not penetrating her senses at that precise moment. So I gave up. "Okay then, if you are not going to change your attitude right now and start eating your breakfast, I will phone your school and say you cannot come because you have a bad attitude. And Miss R. will find out." Obedience was immediate on my daughter's part, since she thankfully knows I am a woman of my words. (And she adores her KG teacher!)
My poor daughter. She ate her breakfast crying, "Mommy, you hurt my feelings by saying I have a bad attitude."
"But it's the truth. You were having a bad attitude." I explained.
"I try to have a good attitude. But it is hard."
"I know it's hard. That is why you need the Holy Spirit to help you. When you ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins and help you live your life, then His Holy Spirit comes and lives inside of you. He helps you do the right thing. Do you want to ask Jesus to do that right now?" You shake your head in a firm no. "That's okay. Do it when you are ready."
Thankfully, we made it to the bus stop with time to spare. I gave my daughter a hug and told her I loved her. I spent the rest of the morning with my son who did benefit from having an extra hour of sleep last night. Our conflicts ended well, even though neither side was perfect.
So I pray today, that God will work in the heart of my children. And mine. That He will overshadow our lives with His goodness, grace and mercy in the midst of our imperfections. We need you. Dear Lord, hear my prayer.