Beauty

At my last Mom's morning out, we were entertained by a vivacious 20-something who is a make-up artist in a nearby city. She advised us on the current trends, best practices, and what not to do. I chuckled to myself since I am so outdated when it comes to the proper way to apply "my face". And to be perfectly honest, I have come to a space in my life in which foundations, blush, mascara, and lipstick is not a priority anymore. While I do enjoy putting on some cosmetics, I am, for the most part, content with how I look. I believe I am beautiful. And the best thing I can put on when heading to the grocery store is a smile.

That being said, here is the "how to" of today:

1. Cleanse face.
2. Use quality brushes instead of the teeny-tiny sponges found in compacts.
3. Apply small quantities of high-end foundation with strong pigmentation. Foundation should match your neck.
4. Set foundation with powder.
5. Apply blush from the ear down. Blend along the sides of your face, not the middle.
6. Apply eyeshadow using three tints within the same range of color. Light tone to cover the entire lid. Medium tone on lower lid. Darkest tone along crease and corner. Shimmery palettes look the best on the twenty-year-olds; shiny palettes are appropriate for thirty-year-olds; anyone older should stick to mattes.
7. Apply eye liner only on top lid. Blend with black eyeshadow. Black shadow can be used below the eye for a dramatic effect.
8. Apply mascara on bottom lashes first, then top.
9. Dispose of mascara every three months.
10. Apply lipstick with no lip liner (lip liner was soooo 90's, we were told:)).

And this is me, most days:

1. Cleanse face. Sometimes.
2. Use brushes.
3. Apply all-in-one powders with natural ingredients that are not harsh to my skin.
4. Apply blush cheek up.
5. Apply mascara on top lashes only.
6. Apply lipstick.
7. Done in less than 5 minutes.

I think the only thing I will change as a result of the presentation (which was very, very well done, I must stress) is to change the direction of my blush application. :)

It is here I go a little deeper and speak to you, my daughter. You live in a society that is tantalized by physical beauty and sensuality. Many industries, such as the cosmetic industry, are sustained by our gender's need to look good all the time so we feel good all the time. Sadly, these feelings stem from a greater problem, where we are often measured by how we look instead who we are. Our physique has become a commodity to be lusted over. Beauty has been twisted into an obsession, an idol, a god. The words blemish, wrinkle, and gray are curses instead of blessings. We long to be airbrushed. We ache to be made-over. We cry as we get older. Why? Because we believe the lie: we are not good enough as we are. We must be the perfect, flawless cover girl.

So what I am trying to say? Dear daughter, I'm not against you using cosmetics. After all, I do. But keep it all in perspective. You are beautiful with it. And most of all, you are beautiful without it. God loves you regardless (and so do I). He doesn't require perfection from you. Rather, he longs for you to surrender your will to His Will. He will grant you His Holy Spirit who will transform your spirit into a work of art. So I encourage you to commune with your Saviour, your Lord, your source of all things good and perfect. Draw closer to Him. And you will become more beautiful, inside and out, as you grown in His everlasting love.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now