Thankfulness #29: The Summer of 2013 (+ a recipe)
Rhubarb Brown Sugar Glazed Cake
Cake
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup durum flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup diced rhubarb
Glaze
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp margarine or butter
Whipped cream
Prepare glaze just before serving by combining glaze ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
![]() |
| Creek Side Walk |
For the last day of July, I post a thankfulness list in ode to the Summer of 2013 thus far:
- Moderate Temperatures: The summer is cooler than usual (or from what I have experienced thus far in prairie southwest). And I'm lovin' it. My system doesn't do well with extreme temperatures. Neither does our budget. Because 30+ temperatures mean more cooling costs, more watering-the-lawn costs, and more battling those wretched wasps cost. This year, these costs are much, much lower in spite of the fact we still dealt with two wasp nests this year (as opposed to four last year).
- Swimming Lessons: Our kids spent the first two weeks of July in the pool learning various skills. It forced me to "unplug" from my usual routine and enjoy cheering for my kids (plus my husband received some much needed quiet time from people). Thankfully both kids obtained their badges!
- Spontaneous Guests: We entertained three groups of spontaneous guests over the last two weeks, in addition to hanging out with my in-laws. All visits were positive. It was great to provide a welcoming home to each group along with some good summer food like ice cream, chocolate pie, chicken souvlaki, steak, baked potatoes, rhubarb brown sugar glazed cake*, and, of course, hot dogs. :)
- Our Deck, Our Patio, Our Chimes: I thoroughly relish partaking meals on our deck, roasting marshmallows around our fire pit while seated on our patio, and the comforting sound of chimes. It is so summer.
- My Garden: I am growing corn, which I am totally excited about! And who grows corn right against their house, in the front flower bed? We do.
- Summer Hair Cut: I chopped my hair to just above shoulder length to see if I can manage without my trusty pony tail. Thus far, I am coping and embracing my wave.

Summer Chop - Seven Years: We praise God that He has brought my husband and I to our seventh year of marriage (and we still like being together). We celebrated with a delicious supper out, an extended walk around the creek, and London Fogs at our favourite coffee shop. All kid free!
Rhubarb Brown Sugar Glazed Cake
Cake
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup durum flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup diced rhubarb
![]() |
| Yup, Corn! |
Topping
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Glaze
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp margarine or butter
2 tbsp cream or milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. For cake, beat sugar, margarine/butter and eggs. Add milk and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add to liquids and use a mixer to beat until smooth. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into a 9x9 square pan (greased and floured). Mix up topping ingredients and sprinkle on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cut cake into pieces (warm up the cake if you so wish) and serve with glaze drizzled over along with a dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!
(This recipe is an adaptation of my sister-in-law's muffin recipe. Thank K.!)

