Summer Formative Assessment

Summer days are here, accompanied with rolling on sunscreen for swimming lessons; consuming a larger quantity of ice cream and hotdogs; and lounging on our deck under a lush canopy of willow leaves. It is a welcomed break from the structure of the school year.

During the months of July and August, I essentially unplug from my social circle and immerse myself with family. This is the time I spend minutes, days, and weeks with my husband, my two children, and my many relatives.

Rest assured that I have not dropped off the face of the earth. I’m still here, sitting in the shade from the hot prairie sun.

Sometimes this season is a time of reflection on what was, what could have been, what should have happened in the past ten months of my husband’s teaching profession. And I start planning the Fall. But before, I jump ahead, I pause to look back to six months ago, when I composed a list of flexible aims for Year 2013. It is time for some formative assessment.

1. Post on the 13th and 26th of each month in this virtual space. Yes, I have met this goal and more.

2. Compose or create something significant that will bear the year 2013. Well, this goal is fading into non-existence. I had dreams of writing some exciting story or attempting to paint a landscape, none of which has even started. I did work in cooperation with my siblings to create a memory book for my Mother’s birthday, but, while it is was an accomplishment, it wasn’t what I envisioned as a “grand creation”. At one moment I thought it would be special to have a 2013 baby, but, if you do the Math, that isn’t even possible now and nor do I really want to go there anymore (most days), as so much baby gear has left this home. Anyway, I digress…

3. Continue to draw on the lessons of 2012. My husband and I are exploring how to serve in our church, especially in areas that are not popular (i.e. Missions). It has been a humbling experience and I do believe we are learning that it isn’t about us and how much people encourage us in the journey. It is about God and His purposes, which are often difficult to discern in the day-to-day. But that is okay. We still have a lot to learn!

4. Memorize a passage of scripture, or two. Yes, this goal is being accomplished. Right now our family is working on Isaiah 46:3-4 in honor of my Father-in-Law’s birthday.

5. Do something that I have never done before (and always wanted to do). Ummm… Not sure what to do with this one. I'd love to learn how to swim properly, but the only lessons available are during the school year on T/Th from 12:00 - 12:45. That doesn't work with my life right now.

6. Rely on God’s guidance in the area of new friendships (and take some risks). Some new friendships are developing, which is good. Though, I’ve let go of several other relationships (or at least I place less expectations on them to grow), because they were too difficult to maintain (or seemed one-sided).

7. Go on a holiday with just your Daddy and you two kids without visiting extended family or friends during that time. Does hanging out in Swift Current count? I guess not… I’m just not motivated right now to plan anything apart from all our extended family excursions!

8. Invest in my local community while remaining globally focused. Yes, my volunteer work in the community and church are along this theme. Now if I could convince myself to be more current with world news... (If you know me, please phone me or e-mail me if the world ends. I might not know. Really.)

9. Celebrate a 13th of a particular month by having one-on-one “dates” with each of my immediate family. I kind of had a date with my son during my daughter’s community preschool program. But it ended up raining and not being as special as I desired. We’ll see if any other 13ths work out.

10. Renovate our kitchen, mostly D.I.Y., with some help from the professionals, without borrowing money. YES! This is actually happening! Whoo Hoo!

11. Sponsor another child through Compassion International to be my son’s “pen pal” one day. I really, really would like to do this, but it seems like God is leading us in making a larger investment in Missions in the Fall. We might not have the funds to make our second Compassion Child a reality this year. But one year, we will.

12. Stay active, stay healthy, stay calm. And stay sane. I am working on it. I see a Naturopathic Doctor in August to address some of my upper GI tract issues.

13. Work towards building authentic, Christ-inspired community along with my husband. We have an idea for the Fall as our Spring was crazy-busy with other commitments. Hopefully something will work out!

So, I score a 7/13 so far. Not bad for half-way through the year? I guess I'm emerging, to use post-modern assessment lingo.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now