Stories of Sacrifice
Dear Children,
I sat across from my Mother (your Nani) hearing tales of pioneer adventures in the northern region of our province. This place north of the treeline was labelled the "jungle" in her mind. A wilderness. A desolate place. Oh, yes, there are people there. But not many. Harding working families, nonetheless, who worked the land with passion.
She told me stories of lacking water. (Lacking water, here in Canada?) Wells would run dry. Water lines would freeze. And my Father (your Nana) would have to haul blue jugs to and from the Reservation school where he worked so his family could cook, clean, and drink. Meanwhile, my Mother would load up the car with dirty diapers and clothes to wash then at a local laundromat.
Your grandparents were truly pioneers. First generation Canadians who sacrificed much for a hope of a better life. For their children. And grandchildren.
One day I would like to write their stories down. Their anecdotes are full of joy, pain, sorrow, and faith. Their experience deserves the honor of ink and paper. But I know I must do it sooner rather than later before their memories fade away with time. What I write won't be a best selling novel by any means. Rather, it would be a precious archive of their journey in a province I appreciate so much.
I want you to know about their story of sacrifice. I want you to know that the prosperity you live in is due to, first and foremost, God's grace and, second, a result of God's prompting in the lives of two faith filled individuals known as your Nana & Nani. Do not take what you have for granted. Many, many tears were shed for you to enjoy the life that you now live. Cherish these stories. And live your life with the same spirit of sacrifice for the sake of others.
Love,
Your Mommy
I sat across from my Mother (your Nani) hearing tales of pioneer adventures in the northern region of our province. This place north of the treeline was labelled the "jungle" in her mind. A wilderness. A desolate place. Oh, yes, there are people there. But not many. Harding working families, nonetheless, who worked the land with passion.
She told me stories of lacking water. (Lacking water, here in Canada?) Wells would run dry. Water lines would freeze. And my Father (your Nana) would have to haul blue jugs to and from the Reservation school where he worked so his family could cook, clean, and drink. Meanwhile, my Mother would load up the car with dirty diapers and clothes to wash then at a local laundromat.
Your grandparents were truly pioneers. First generation Canadians who sacrificed much for a hope of a better life. For their children. And grandchildren.
One day I would like to write their stories down. Their anecdotes are full of joy, pain, sorrow, and faith. Their experience deserves the honor of ink and paper. But I know I must do it sooner rather than later before their memories fade away with time. What I write won't be a best selling novel by any means. Rather, it would be a precious archive of their journey in a province I appreciate so much.
I want you to know about their story of sacrifice. I want you to know that the prosperity you live in is due to, first and foremost, God's grace and, second, a result of God's prompting in the lives of two faith filled individuals known as your Nana & Nani. Do not take what you have for granted. Many, many tears were shed for you to enjoy the life that you now live. Cherish these stories. And live your life with the same spirit of sacrifice for the sake of others.
Love,
Your Mommy