If you think I'm boring...
Inevitably, I get ask, "So, have you returned to work?" My answer, "No, I stay at home with my kids." My response is received with general affirmation and the words, "Good for you."
Then, that's it. (Usually.) My current position of homemaker is a basic conversation stopper. Especially among other women. In a few moments, people ascertain my job description: I am the care giver, the cleaner, the cook. Kind of boring, eh?
Some days it is difficult to stand in the shadow of my husband. He gets the glory at this stage of life. People want to hear about his stories and adventures as he interacts and educates teenage minds. In comparison, my anecdotes about what my kids said or the exciting new recipe I attempted isn't that noteworthy except to a few close family and friends. At times I struggle with coveting his role as breadwinner. I wish I could engage with other humans on a professional level instead of at the level of goldfish crackers and play dough.
Even though I feel discouraged at this moment, I acknowledge that the life I have chosen is what I've always wanted while I parent my preschoolers. But, it is lonely. Very lonely at times. It is here I think of my own Mother who left the country of her family to join the ranks of new East-Indian immigrants trying to make a go at a better life.
And was this life better, here is a province that experiences below zero temperatures six months out of the year? Was it easy for her to let go of a successful overseas teaching career in the Sciences to be demoted to less prestigious employment in a foreign country? Did she feel strong as she stood by her husband in prairie hick-town often being the only visible minorities who were not doctors or restaurant owners (and hardly having any friends)? Yes, (and no) only by God's grace and strength.
I really don't know where I am going with this post. It is not even in letter format, as has been my writing style these days. And, you, as my reader, can't even comment except if you e-mailed me or talked to me in person. So, in some ways, I feel like I am spouting off a monologue on an empty stage. Nonetheless, if you meet a "housewife" out here, please keep this in mind:
Then, that's it. (Usually.) My current position of homemaker is a basic conversation stopper. Especially among other women. In a few moments, people ascertain my job description: I am the care giver, the cleaner, the cook. Kind of boring, eh?
Some days it is difficult to stand in the shadow of my husband. He gets the glory at this stage of life. People want to hear about his stories and adventures as he interacts and educates teenage minds. In comparison, my anecdotes about what my kids said or the exciting new recipe I attempted isn't that noteworthy except to a few close family and friends. At times I struggle with coveting his role as breadwinner. I wish I could engage with other humans on a professional level instead of at the level of goldfish crackers and play dough.
Even though I feel discouraged at this moment, I acknowledge that the life I have chosen is what I've always wanted while I parent my preschoolers. But, it is lonely. Very lonely at times. It is here I think of my own Mother who left the country of her family to join the ranks of new East-Indian immigrants trying to make a go at a better life.
And was this life better, here is a province that experiences below zero temperatures six months out of the year? Was it easy for her to let go of a successful overseas teaching career in the Sciences to be demoted to less prestigious employment in a foreign country? Did she feel strong as she stood by her husband in prairie hick-town often being the only visible minorities who were not doctors or restaurant owners (and hardly having any friends)? Yes, (and no) only by God's grace and strength.
I really don't know where I am going with this post. It is not even in letter format, as has been my writing style these days. And, you, as my reader, can't even comment except if you e-mailed me or talked to me in person. So, in some ways, I feel like I am spouting off a monologue on an empty stage. Nonetheless, if you meet a "housewife" out here, please keep this in mind:
- We are not stupid, uneducated individuals. Many of us hold more than one degree. Many of us had a professional life before babies. We are sophisticated, intelligent women. And we choose to do what we do at home because we feel it is what's best for our family unit.
- We sometimes struggle with the fact that we spend so much time at home. We may seem strong as we stand by our spouse and "hold the fort" so to speak. But there are days we would like to raise the white flag in surrender, retreat, and let our spouse fend for himself. After all, we are human, not super Mom.
- While our lives are consumed with the endless tasks of nurturing a home, we do have dreams and aspirations. If our current existence seems boring to you, ask us about our hopes for our own lives. It may assist us in nurturing our own spirits.