Good Soil
One of my favourite units to teach in the old Science 9 curriculum was Soil Science. Okay, Soil Science wasn't technically in the curriculum. But it was an extension of one of the required units. And since I was teaching a group of talented, somewhat gifted, science students, I decided to explore something unique. Keep in mind, I have no formal training in Soil Science. So I learned alongside the kids. We mucked around in the lab examining soil samples under the microscope trying to figure out what kind of soil we were working with. We studied soil maps of our province (and now I realize, I have lived in three different soil zones in the course of my residency in this province). However, my fondest memories of the unit was the exam that I created with much thought and intentionality. I gave the students an excerpt from the Lord of the Rings to analyse for soil types. Many students were ecstatic when they reached the question. "We get to read Lord of the Rings in Science!" they exclaimed. Yes, they were keen and "nerdy", just like me!
Yesterday I read the Parable of the Sower from the book of Mark. I have read it a thousand times before (well, not quite, but it sure seems that way). I have heard many a sermon on the topic. Thus, when I came across it again, I was tempted to breeze through it without much thought. And I probably would have if I was reading in my usual New International Version translation. But this time I opted to peruse the New Living Translation and then The Message paraphrase. Here is what it said in The Message:
[Jesus] continued, "Do you see how this story works? All my stories work this way. The farmer plants the Word. Some people are like the seed that falls on the hardened soil of the road. No sooner do they hear the Word than Satan snatches away what has been planted in them. And some are like the seed that lands in the gravel. When they first hear the Word, they respond with great enthusiasm. But there is such shallow soil of character that when the emotions wear off and some difficulty arrives, there is nothing to show for it. The seed cast in the weeds represents the ones who hear the kingdom news but are overwhelmed with worries about all the things they have to do and all the things they want to get. The stress strangles what they heard, and nothing comes of it. But the seed planted in the good earth represents those who hear the Word, embrace it, and produce a harvest beyond their wildest dreams." (Mark 4:13-20, emphasis added).
The seed of God's Word in my life is planted in thorny or weed infested soil. I must admit I am often overwhelmed about all the things that I have to do and all the things I want to get. You see, I am a problem solver. I see a problem and I attempt it to solve it in the most effective and efficient way possible. And when the problem lingers, it drives me a little crazy. Honestly, several of the problems in my life do linger and can't be solved immediately. Some problems are completely outside my control. And others are intangible, sometimes taking years, if not a lifetime, to work on.
Let me give you an example: weight loss after a baby. It seemed so much easier with my first child. But it is much more difficult the second time around. And I am trying very hard to shed the pounds. I am cognisant of what I eat. I aim to exercise about three times a week. But some weeks I am such a failure. Sometimes I eat an extra muffin (or two, eeekkkk!). Or life with my kids is so exhausting that I just fall into bed at the end of the day without working out to that crazily intense exercise video (Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, which I am only doing every other day at best because I can't imagine doing it everyday at this stage of my life!!!).
My husband is so encouraging, despite my overly critical attitude. "Don't worry about the number [on the scale] Rain," he said this morning, "You are exercising. That is the important point." And as he munched a whole wheat zucchini muffin, he went on to talk about my vegetable eating habits and how he has consumed more vegetables since we have been married than during his post-high school bachelor era.
The STRESS strangles what they heard, and nothing comes of it...
You know what! I don't want to obsess about all I have to do and all I want to get in my life! I desire to be Good Soil. I want to hear the WORD, I long to embrace it, and produce a harvest beyond my wildest dreams. For God's GLORY.
Anyway, I better go exercise...
(Special thanks to my husband who took care of our two kids while I sipped a café latte, relaxed, and composed this post at a local coffee shop!)
Yesterday I read the Parable of the Sower from the book of Mark. I have read it a thousand times before (well, not quite, but it sure seems that way). I have heard many a sermon on the topic. Thus, when I came across it again, I was tempted to breeze through it without much thought. And I probably would have if I was reading in my usual New International Version translation. But this time I opted to peruse the New Living Translation and then The Message paraphrase. Here is what it said in The Message:
[Jesus] continued, "Do you see how this story works? All my stories work this way. The farmer plants the Word. Some people are like the seed that falls on the hardened soil of the road. No sooner do they hear the Word than Satan snatches away what has been planted in them. And some are like the seed that lands in the gravel. When they first hear the Word, they respond with great enthusiasm. But there is such shallow soil of character that when the emotions wear off and some difficulty arrives, there is nothing to show for it. The seed cast in the weeds represents the ones who hear the kingdom news but are overwhelmed with worries about all the things they have to do and all the things they want to get. The stress strangles what they heard, and nothing comes of it. But the seed planted in the good earth represents those who hear the Word, embrace it, and produce a harvest beyond their wildest dreams." (Mark 4:13-20, emphasis added).
The seed of God's Word in my life is planted in thorny or weed infested soil. I must admit I am often overwhelmed about all the things that I have to do and all the things I want to get. You see, I am a problem solver. I see a problem and I attempt it to solve it in the most effective and efficient way possible. And when the problem lingers, it drives me a little crazy. Honestly, several of the problems in my life do linger and can't be solved immediately. Some problems are completely outside my control. And others are intangible, sometimes taking years, if not a lifetime, to work on.
Let me give you an example: weight loss after a baby. It seemed so much easier with my first child. But it is much more difficult the second time around. And I am trying very hard to shed the pounds. I am cognisant of what I eat. I aim to exercise about three times a week. But some weeks I am such a failure. Sometimes I eat an extra muffin (or two, eeekkkk!). Or life with my kids is so exhausting that I just fall into bed at the end of the day without working out to that crazily intense exercise video (Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, which I am only doing every other day at best because I can't imagine doing it everyday at this stage of my life!!!).
The STRESS strangles what they heard, and nothing comes of it...
You know what! I don't want to obsess about all I have to do and all I want to get in my life! I desire to be Good Soil. I want to hear the WORD, I long to embrace it, and produce a harvest beyond my wildest dreams. For God's GLORY.
Anyway, I better go exercise...
(Special thanks to my husband who took care of our two kids while I sipped a café latte, relaxed, and composed this post at a local coffee shop!)
