This Mystery

Today, as my children napped, I listened to one of my favorite albums by Nichole Nordeman entitled "This Mystery". The majority of the title song's lyrics are below. Wow. The words really encapsulated how I'm feeling these days. The words in parentheses are my thoughts on the lyrics. Hope it speaks to you where you are in your life.

Say goodnight to the light of the setting sun
One more day, one more way
Of keeping track of all I've done
(I'm trying, really I am. Some days I throw garbage in the laundry basket and place the hot chocolate container in the microwave. :))

I run this race, keep this pace
I'm doing fine (most of the time)
And I won't stop until each box
Gets checked a second time (yah, me and my lists!)

And life becomes the round and round
Revolving door that won't slow down
It won't slow down (these kids are growing up so fast, I am scared I am missing so much of their lives as I worry about stupid things)

This routine is nice and clean from dawn to dusk (um, not really nice and clean, really messy actually)
I rise and rest, I do my best
When will it ever be enough? (Good question. I think I try TOO hard. The perfectionist that I am.)

And life becomes the bigger noise
Drowning out Your little voice
Your little voice, Jesus (Sorry, my Lord, I want to hear you more!)

We take stock, and we punch the clock
And we make sure all those zeros have balanced in the end (he, he, I actually do this in my budgeting!)

Do You wish, do You want us to breathe again?
Say goodbye to the lines that we've coloured in
Brown and grey from day to day
Do You cry, do You hope for all things made new?
Try and try to invoke us to live in You
That we might be the hands and feet of this mystery (Oh, do I ever! Lord please...)

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now