Germs, Moms, Recipes & Grace

She woke up with a runny nose and cough, again, for the umpteenth time this fall. I sighed. My plans for the morning began to evaporate before my eyes. I really wanted to go. We were invited to another Mom's place were several others were gathering. I made the dreaded phone call. The conversation went something like this:

"My daughter woke up with a cold. I was totally ready to go! I got the car this morning. I even baked the muffins I promised to bring. But, she's sick," I explained with marked disappointment in my voice.

"Oh, not again! Though there are already snotty kids here," she replied with a chuckle.

"Really? I just don't like spreading the germs."

"Come on over with your germs!" she replied enthusiastically.

"Are you sure?"

"Totally!"

So I bundled my kids in their snowsuits and piled into the car.

The morning was simple. We hovered around a table working on various Christmas crafts. The kids played in the background. My son dozed in his car seat. Occasionally a mom would address one of her children. Reminders to share were spoken. Warnings of "time-outs" were issued. We snacked on my Spiced Apple Muffins (see below) while conversation flowed. Genuine conversation. Real conversation. Authentic conversation. We shared our trials and joys in nursing our babies. We talked about how we can't help desiring more children even though our life circumstances may not allow it. We disclosed our challenges of being alone at home with preschoolers while our husbands worked late hours. With steaming coffee mugs at arms reach, glue guns ready to seal a decorative seam, and wiggly babies on laps, we chose to be ourselves.

I returned home satisfied. I didn't feel so alone on this journey. There were others out there, just like me, doing the best that they can as Mothers.

The afternoon was challenging. My daughter's nose started to puff up and her grumpiness factor went up tenfold. After very short naps, my children woke up more miserable than before. I even captured the simultaneous wails of both my children on video! We bundled back into the car to pick up my husband, after which we returned home to hasty supper preparations.

Then the phone rang. It was one of our church's youth leaders.

"Tonight the youth are going around spreading some Christmas cheer. You were on my list. We were wondering if we could drop by with some Christmas baking?"

"That is so thoughtful of you!" I replied incredulously.

"Well, we were thinking that you have been uprooted from home and we wanted you to have some good memories of your first Christmas here," she explained.

Later on, while my husband completed a week long involvement in the school's drama, several young girls and their leader dropped by with scrumptious Monster Cookies and Whipped Shortbread. After a brief visit, they left with the words, "Welcome to [undisclosed city]."

I know it will be a tough night ahead. My son is a restless sleeper to begin with. And my daughter will wake up miserable after night time coughing episodes. But it was a good day. God graciously has shown me that He loves me very much. It is in His Will that I am here, in this time and place.

To those who have had no agony Jesus says, “I have nothing for you; stand on your own feet, square your own shoulders. I have come for the man who knows he has a bigger handful than he can cope with, who knows there are forces he cannot touch; I will do everything for him if he will let Me. Only let a man grant he needs it, and I will do it for him.”
~ Oswald Chambers

Thank you Jesus that you came for me.

Spiced Apple Muffins

2 cups All-purpose flour (or 1 cup All-purpose & 1 cup Whole wheat)
1 cup Bran flakes
2/3 cup Brown sugar, packed
1 tbsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg

2 Eggs
2/3 cup Milk
1/4 cup Cooking oil
1 cup Grated peeled apple

In mixing bowl, combing flour, bran flakes, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices. Fluff together with a fork to thoroughly distribute baking powder. Push mixture up sides of bowl, making a well in center.

In medium bowl beat eggs slightly. Add milk, cooking oil and apple. Stir together. Pour in well. Stir quickly to moisten. Batter will be lumpy. Spoon into greased muffin cups or muffin cups lined with paper. Bake in 400F (200C) oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Yield: 12 - 16 muffins.

~ Adapted from Company's Coming Muffins & More

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now