Baby Math
As a mathematics teacher, it bothers me when I encounter professionals who make blatant calculation errors, errors that should be avoided as part of the job. Last week, I took my son for a routine physical exam. The nurse at the clinic weighed him and told me he was 4.71 kg. All good. Then she punched some numbers into her calculator and reported, "He is 10 pounds, 3 ounces. Well, almost 4 ounces." I nodded while thinking, "You converted wrong, again."So here is a mathematical contest for all my readers. Answer the following questions in the comment section of this blog post. If your response is correct and thorough as well as unique, I will seek you out and award you a prize! You have ONE week to respond.
- What did the nurse do on her calculator to convert 4.71 kg to 10 lbs 4 oz?
- What was the nurse's conversion error?
- What is the nurse assuming to be true which resulted in the error?
- What is my son's correct weight in pounds and ounces? Explain how to obtain the answer.
- How can I kindly inform the nurses at the clinic that they notoriously convert metric to imperial incorrectly?
Good luck!