Feeling Neutral
I'm done. No more teaching for a while. Friday was my last day. Yet, it felt strange. Almost anticlimactic. I sat through a professional development session out of obligation; listened to Administration speak about registration procedures for a second semester that I will not be part of; received a "mention" in regards to my maternity leave; made a solo trip out for some Japanese fast-food; and spent the remainder of the afternoon clearing out personal items from my classroom. A few colleagues stopped to say goodbye and good luck. I handed in my keys and walked out the doors neither happy or sad. Just neutral. Whatever. Maybe I'll see you all later. Maybe not. Only God knows.
Interestingly enough, out of all the schools that I have taught at, this was the one I was the least attached to. Why? A combination of factors are to blame. The school was quite large and it was hard to make personal connections with staff. My classroom was located in an isolated section of the school that was devoid of a group of math/science colleagues. I wasn't highly involved in extra-curricular activities because of out-of-school commitments. And my attention was diverted from social gatherings because of significant life changes (i.e. marriage and motherhood).
I really do not know why I am writing all of this. Maybe I'm experiencing a twinge of regret. Just a bit. But, could I have changed anything? I do not think so. Life happens. Priorities are decided. And circumstances influence the outcome. Maybe next time will be different. Or maybe not.
Interestingly enough, out of all the schools that I have taught at, this was the one I was the least attached to. Why? A combination of factors are to blame. The school was quite large and it was hard to make personal connections with staff. My classroom was located in an isolated section of the school that was devoid of a group of math/science colleagues. I wasn't highly involved in extra-curricular activities because of out-of-school commitments. And my attention was diverted from social gatherings because of significant life changes (i.e. marriage and motherhood).
I really do not know why I am writing all of this. Maybe I'm experiencing a twinge of regret. Just a bit. But, could I have changed anything? I do not think so. Life happens. Priorities are decided. And circumstances influence the outcome. Maybe next time will be different. Or maybe not.