Waiting for the Sunrise
A melancholy spirit invades my soul as I ponder the events of the last two weeks.
The Flu
Fear of the flu is spreading like wild fire. Students are getting ill. Teachers are getting sick. Our school board is running out of substitute teachers. People are furiously rubbing their hands with hand sanitizer. Janitors walk the halls disinfecting door knobs and other commonly touched surfaces. Parents are on their phones inquiring about an ill child at home. And I have been asked by several colleagues, "Did you get your flu shot yet?" It all seems surreal, like I've walked into another world.
End of the World
People are scared of the future. I have been asked by two students if I believe the world will end in 2012 as predicted by the Mayans centuries ago. I have sat down at lunch to hear two of my colleagues speak of how our planet has entered a downward spiral due to global warming. Apparently, the lives of my children will be difficult. They may enter a struggle for life itself.
Death, Loss of Life, and Sorrow
Several friends, family, and colleagues of mine are dealing with death. My heart aches as I watch dear loved ones mourn over the loss of a parent or child. Today, I was acutely reminded of death as I participated in a Remembrance Day Ceremony. So many men and women have given their lives for my freedom. Mothers have lost their sons and daughters. I cry when I think of the pain that fills the lives of numerous individuals.
The Sunrise
As I write this, I'm listening to a Lord of the Rings soundtrack. My mind travels back to one of my favorite images from the book and movie. King Theoden and his comrades are fighting a hopeless battle at Helm's Deep. They are at the brink of defeat during the early moments of dawn. Suddenly, sunlight spills over the hill and Gandalf rides in victoriously with a huge army. Death, darkness, and despair are blinded as the army triumphantly sweeps over a sea of orcs. Good has prevailed over evil.
What a beautiful and vivid picture of hope. It reminds me of a conversation that Jesus had with his disciples in John 16. The disciples were anxious. Jesus was leaving. They didn't understand what was happening and why it was happening. Jesus encourages them with these words, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (verse 33).
In this world, we will have trouble. It is not easy being human. Our hearts will face sorrow - a sorrow so deep that we fall apart. Yet, God doesn't take away our troubles. We will all go through our shares of trials, pain, and grief. But God freely imparts His peace - a peace that passes human understanding, a peace that holds us through until the sun rises and floods the landscape with inescapable light.
I'm waiting for the sunrise. In the meanwhile, I need to share the hope I have in Christ.
The Flu
Fear of the flu is spreading like wild fire. Students are getting ill. Teachers are getting sick. Our school board is running out of substitute teachers. People are furiously rubbing their hands with hand sanitizer. Janitors walk the halls disinfecting door knobs and other commonly touched surfaces. Parents are on their phones inquiring about an ill child at home. And I have been asked by several colleagues, "Did you get your flu shot yet?" It all seems surreal, like I've walked into another world.
End of the World
People are scared of the future. I have been asked by two students if I believe the world will end in 2012 as predicted by the Mayans centuries ago. I have sat down at lunch to hear two of my colleagues speak of how our planet has entered a downward spiral due to global warming. Apparently, the lives of my children will be difficult. They may enter a struggle for life itself.
Death, Loss of Life, and Sorrow
Several friends, family, and colleagues of mine are dealing with death. My heart aches as I watch dear loved ones mourn over the loss of a parent or child. Today, I was acutely reminded of death as I participated in a Remembrance Day Ceremony. So many men and women have given their lives for my freedom. Mothers have lost their sons and daughters. I cry when I think of the pain that fills the lives of numerous individuals.
The Sunrise
As I write this, I'm listening to a Lord of the Rings soundtrack. My mind travels back to one of my favorite images from the book and movie. King Theoden and his comrades are fighting a hopeless battle at Helm's Deep. They are at the brink of defeat during the early moments of dawn. Suddenly, sunlight spills over the hill and Gandalf rides in victoriously with a huge army. Death, darkness, and despair are blinded as the army triumphantly sweeps over a sea of orcs. Good has prevailed over evil.
What a beautiful and vivid picture of hope. It reminds me of a conversation that Jesus had with his disciples in John 16. The disciples were anxious. Jesus was leaving. They didn't understand what was happening and why it was happening. Jesus encourages them with these words, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world" (verse 33).
In this world, we will have trouble. It is not easy being human. Our hearts will face sorrow - a sorrow so deep that we fall apart. Yet, God doesn't take away our troubles. We will all go through our shares of trials, pain, and grief. But God freely imparts His peace - a peace that passes human understanding, a peace that holds us through until the sun rises and floods the landscape with inescapable light.
I'm waiting for the sunrise. In the meanwhile, I need to share the hope I have in Christ.