The Potential Cost of Learning

It is report card time at many schools and I know of several teachers and students who dread this day with every fibre of their being. One group of students that are often filled with a large amount of anxiety are the "high achievers." Specifically, they are afraid of receiving grades that are not "high" by their standards.

I have encountered these types of students numerous times in my career. And I believe that several of these students do not want to be challenged at the cost of their marks. They may exclaim, "Yes, challenge me! I'm bored!" But then they add the disclaimer, "Please don't compromise my 98%."

I was one of these students in the past.

However, as a teacher, I am supposed to encourage my students to develop new skills in a particular subject. When the student is learning, they often make mistakes. They do not score perfectly. Yet, over time, they increase their competency in the skill. And in the end, I award them the mark the best reflects their progress.

Sadly, many high achieving students fail to see the importance of the process involved in developing a skill. They want the high mark immediately and easily. Unfortunately, they measure their worth by the numerical value of the mark. They do not view the mark as an indication of what they have learned and what they need to learn.

As a society, we encourage this mind set. We ask students, "What is your average?" instead of "What did you learn this year?" We celebrate 97% and raise our eyebrows at 79%, even if the 97% involved minimal learning and the 79% required a vast acquisition of knowledge.

I heard of a Bible college that awarded marks based on progress. The college would administer a benchmark exam at the beginning of the year. At the end of the year, the student was awarded a mark based on how they improved in reference to the initial mark. Interesting idea, albeit radical (and scary) for many high achievers!

As for my personal experiences as a secondary student, I know I learned the most when I "failed" (which often meant receiving a 89% instead of a 95%). How did I react? My determination would increase and I would do what I needed to do to truly learn the concepts. This reaction was magnified when I hit university. I remember receiving my first 50% on a Calculus midterm. I was disappointed. But I worked hard, engaged in true learning, and pulled off a mark in the mid-80's by the end of the year. And I am proud of that mark, more than the "easy" 95% I scored in high school.

So, if you know of a high achiever out there, like me, ask them, "What did you learn this semester?" This may help them to take their eyes off the mark, for a moment.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now