It is JUST a dress, lady!
Yesterday, our little family posed at a local studio for our annual pictures (which, by the way, turned out pretty good). As I was finalizing the order with the photographer, my husband and I overheard the following conversation from a couple who was next in line for their pictures.
"This is the wrong dress!" the wife hissed.
"But I put on the dress that you had laid out," the husband penitently replied has he held his adorable infant daughter.
"Where was I when you did that? What was I doing?" she retorted as if she was speaking to a three year old. (Somehow these questions were supposed to enlightened the husband of some error on his part. Apparently she was right.)
The husband mumbled something in repentance.
Meanwhile, my husband had to walk out of the room with our daughter to avoid reprimanding the woman.
"My colleague offered to take their family pictures," our photographer whispered to me, "She knows her." Apparently our photographer was quite relieved not to deal with that woman and her unfortunate husband.
During our drive back home my husband and I discussed the incident. He used one or two colorful metaphors to describe the woman. How can one person be so mean to the person they claim to love? Also, if a husband or wife has no shame in publicly humiliating his or her spouse, then how must he or she treat the other at home?
Serious questions that require serious thought. In the meanwhile, you never know who is watching or listening to you and your spouse as you interact. What conclusions would they draw?
"This is the wrong dress!" the wife hissed.
"But I put on the dress that you had laid out," the husband penitently replied has he held his adorable infant daughter.
"Where was I when you did that? What was I doing?" she retorted as if she was speaking to a three year old. (Somehow these questions were supposed to enlightened the husband of some error on his part. Apparently she was right.)
The husband mumbled something in repentance.
Meanwhile, my husband had to walk out of the room with our daughter to avoid reprimanding the woman.
"My colleague offered to take their family pictures," our photographer whispered to me, "She knows her." Apparently our photographer was quite relieved not to deal with that woman and her unfortunate husband.
During our drive back home my husband and I discussed the incident. He used one or two colorful metaphors to describe the woman. How can one person be so mean to the person they claim to love? Also, if a husband or wife has no shame in publicly humiliating his or her spouse, then how must he or she treat the other at home?
Serious questions that require serious thought. In the meanwhile, you never know who is watching or listening to you and your spouse as you interact. What conclusions would they draw?