An Educator's Observations
I've been teaching for two weeks now. And part of me can't believe how easy it has been to get back into the swing of things. I guess when a person has been doing this for 10+ years, it starts to become second nature. However, there are a few things that have caused this educator to shake her head with either annoyance or sadness. None of these are new issues, just old ones that have made a poignant impact after almost a year and a half maternity leave.
Teens & Cell Phones
Wow. I forgot how many kids walk around in the hallways with their ears or fingers glued to a cell phone. What are they doing? Talking, texting, playing games, taking pictures, etc. It is an epidemic! As well as an addiction for many. And I do shake my head in disgust when a 15 year old is sporting a Blackberry. Come on! Save your hard earned money for something more significant, like an education. So, do you want to know what my answer was to a student who wanted to use their iPhone as a calculator? NO.
My Love/Hate Relationship with Computers
I was painfully reminded how s-l-o-w computers are when they are hooked up to a vast network. While I love computers for creating documents and e-mailing friends and family, I do get frustrated when the act of taking attendance takes twice as long because the web page is taking forever to upload. Or when opening a document and printing it takes far too long due to an archaic computer.
Communication Woes
I believe all organizations struggle with some degree of communication breakdown, even when the leaders of that organization have the best intentions to be clear and concise. But I have rediscovered one thing about virtual communication. If you increase the steps involved to obtain needed information from a virtual communication site and there is more than one site you have to visit to access that information, then you decrease the probability that the recipient will even receive the communication in the first place. Someone needs to conduct research on this!
Teenage Boys with Single Moms
(Disclaimer: the following observations are NOT made to criticize single moms of teenage boys.) In my relatively short teaching career I have taught several teenage boys with single moms who suffer from various psychological/mental issues such as attention deficit disorder (ADD) or oppositional defiance disorder (ODD). These young boys are often angry, disrespectful, and frustrated with the school system. In addition, they tend to have problems with female authority. Upon digging deeper, it is often found that the young boy has had little or no contact with his father, either due to the father's disinterest or abusive nature. Furthermore, positive male role models are absent from the child's life. In the meanwhile, the mother is trying her utmost to parent the troubled teen to the best of her ability. It is heartbreaking. Once again, in the last two weeks, I have encountered a few examples of such troubled boys. I wish the fathers of these boys would actually open their eyes and see the consequences of their absence or negative behaviours in the lives of their sons.
Lower Necklines and Shorter Skirts
I know that this is an age old battle with the female gender. But seriously, I am looking forward to the winter months when sweaters and jeans make a comeback. Maybe then I will not have to watch the girls in my room for inappropriate outfits and pull them aside for a little chat. Honestly, I am a huge advocate for school uniforms. I do understand that uniforms do not completely eliminate the dress code battle. But it would reduce the problem (and I know that from my overseas teaching experience). Interestingly enough, North American schools are in the minority when it comes to "free dress". A huge percentage of students around the globe attend school in their trusty school uniform. I think we should follow suit.
Poor Math Skills
When I marked a computational diagnostic quiz that included a question such as 36 x 13, I read the following words penned by a student: "This is impossible." Sadly, his attitude was the norm. Oh my. I will not even begin to rant on this one!
Those are my observations, at least for now.
Teens & Cell Phones
Wow. I forgot how many kids walk around in the hallways with their ears or fingers glued to a cell phone. What are they doing? Talking, texting, playing games, taking pictures, etc. It is an epidemic! As well as an addiction for many. And I do shake my head in disgust when a 15 year old is sporting a Blackberry. Come on! Save your hard earned money for something more significant, like an education. So, do you want to know what my answer was to a student who wanted to use their iPhone as a calculator? NO.
My Love/Hate Relationship with Computers
I was painfully reminded how s-l-o-w computers are when they are hooked up to a vast network. While I love computers for creating documents and e-mailing friends and family, I do get frustrated when the act of taking attendance takes twice as long because the web page is taking forever to upload. Or when opening a document and printing it takes far too long due to an archaic computer.
Communication Woes
I believe all organizations struggle with some degree of communication breakdown, even when the leaders of that organization have the best intentions to be clear and concise. But I have rediscovered one thing about virtual communication. If you increase the steps involved to obtain needed information from a virtual communication site and there is more than one site you have to visit to access that information, then you decrease the probability that the recipient will even receive the communication in the first place. Someone needs to conduct research on this!
Teenage Boys with Single Moms
(Disclaimer: the following observations are NOT made to criticize single moms of teenage boys.) In my relatively short teaching career I have taught several teenage boys with single moms who suffer from various psychological/mental issues such as attention deficit disorder (ADD) or oppositional defiance disorder (ODD). These young boys are often angry, disrespectful, and frustrated with the school system. In addition, they tend to have problems with female authority. Upon digging deeper, it is often found that the young boy has had little or no contact with his father, either due to the father's disinterest or abusive nature. Furthermore, positive male role models are absent from the child's life. In the meanwhile, the mother is trying her utmost to parent the troubled teen to the best of her ability. It is heartbreaking. Once again, in the last two weeks, I have encountered a few examples of such troubled boys. I wish the fathers of these boys would actually open their eyes and see the consequences of their absence or negative behaviours in the lives of their sons.
Lower Necklines and Shorter Skirts
I know that this is an age old battle with the female gender. But seriously, I am looking forward to the winter months when sweaters and jeans make a comeback. Maybe then I will not have to watch the girls in my room for inappropriate outfits and pull them aside for a little chat. Honestly, I am a huge advocate for school uniforms. I do understand that uniforms do not completely eliminate the dress code battle. But it would reduce the problem (and I know that from my overseas teaching experience). Interestingly enough, North American schools are in the minority when it comes to "free dress". A huge percentage of students around the globe attend school in their trusty school uniform. I think we should follow suit.
Poor Math Skills
When I marked a computational diagnostic quiz that included a question such as 36 x 13, I read the following words penned by a student: "This is impossible." Sadly, his attitude was the norm. Oh my. I will not even begin to rant on this one!
Those are my observations, at least for now.