God Doesn't Desire Stupid Believers

For the past three months, my esthetician and I have had a little arrangement. I arrive at her home for an eyebrow wax and she hands me the next season of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Her husband has kindly granted us the privilege to methodically view his precious collection of all seven seasons. We are currently in season three.

My husband and I are thoroughly enjoying this trip down memory lane. Captain Picard's brilliant leadership is inspirational. Plus his dry wit and brief moments of boyish enthusiasm are a delight to watch. Worf, the Klingon Chief Security Officer, is entertaining as he heroically attempts to tone down his warrior spirit in light of Starfleet diplomacy. And Worf's stoic comments are hilarious! Lieutenant Commander Data - now here is one fine android officer! While his computer-like skills are admired by his comrades, he would trade them away in an instant to become human. True, his reflections on humanity are at times naive, but at other moments his thoughts are astute and cogent.

Yet, the one aspect that bothers me about the series is the view of the supernatural. God does not exist. We are a product of random evolution. Beings who exhibit behaviours that may be attributed to a deity are merely a more evolved alien race (e.g. the Q continuum). Humans will eventually reach such pinnacles of development given enough time and genetic mutations. We will become "god". On the other hand, people groups that believe in the supernatural are viewed as irrational, superstitious, fearful, and ignorant. In addition, such individuals are easily susceptible to legislating so called moral acts in the name of God (e.g. the inquisitions, holy wars). The result? Chaos, Hatred, and Unmitigated Pain. Thus, abandoning a belief in God is seen as an achievement by Captain Picard and his senior officers.

Of course, I do not agree with Captain Picard. I believe in God, even though I can acknowledge that many evil deeds are committed in the name of God. But it isn't God's fault. It is our fault. After all, past atrocities exist due to other human ideologies that subtract God from the equation (e.g. the Holocaust, Stalin's ethnic "cleansings"). For me, abandoning a belief in God isn't an achievement. If it were, many scientific discoveries would be missing from that annals of history. Individuals such as Farraday and Einstein would have lost much of their inspiration. And yes, there are many times in my life that I am irrational, superstitious, fearful, and ignorant. But it isn't because of my belief in God. Rather, I blame my lack of faith and reduced intellect for such moments. In my humble opinion, God doesn't desire stupid believers. Not then. Not now. Not ever.

Maybe one day my children's children's children's children will join Starfleet. I hope and pray that their belief in God will be a crowning achievement instead of an attribute to be shunned.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now