Why I'm Not in Style

I've been feeling a bit self-conscious. As I observe women flaunting the current fashion trends, I realize I may be going out of style. Truthfully, I find it difficult to keep up with the newest sensations. Extra money to spend on being "in vogue" is a low priority for our household. However, in some areas, I honesty have no desire to be chic or modern. Here is my list:

Chunky Brown Sunglasses
The sunglasses from the early 70's are back. You know the ones I'm talking about. Big, gogglish, usually brown, and often perched on the top of a woman's head like a hairband. I don't own one. I don't care to. Why? Because this "wearer of glasses" would have to purchase contacts to participate in the current sunglasses craze. Contacts and I don't get along. Believe me, I've tried. Three times. I guess I could invest in some bug-eyed prescription sunglasses? No, not worth the money. The trend will probably disappear in a few years, I hope.

Skinny Jeans
Oh my. I was hoping they would disappear forever. But, skinny "ankle-biting" jeans have returned with a vengeance. Such clothing may look fantastic on a person with a modest hip size. But not me. My favorite kind of jeans? Location: Reitmans. I rest my case.

Big "Bling" Handbag
They are everywhere! I see over-sized purses draped over the shoulders of everyone! Teens. Young woman. Mothers with children. Seniors. And the colors!? I just can't imagine sporting a bright red bag emblazoned with huge buckles and sequins that is large enough to house a lap top. Not me. Sorry. My handbag? Black, simple, practical, and small.

Plunging Necklines
This one frustrates me the most. I am finding it more challenging to purchase dresses, blouses, or t-shirts that will not result in excessive exposure. My brown, black, and white camisoles have become my best friend of late. I understand that modesty, in part, is understood within a cultural framework (e.g. revealing your legs in a Western context is acceptable, while it is considered a faux pas in Eastern societies). However, for me, the North American interpretation of modesty is difficult to embrace in comparison with the Indian standards I grew up with. *Sigh.* I need to go shopping for more camisoles.

Conclusion? I'm not in style. Well, in some areas anyway.

Popular posts from this blog

Is God Good?

Daunting {But Not Impossible}

Banking in the Now