Undaz Soup
One of my husband's frequently used Hindi words is "undaz" (pronounced un-THE-az), which is best translated as "estimate" or "approximate". He learned the word while he was listening to a conversation between my sister and I. From what I recall, I was recounting a cooking experience and I remarked, "You know, I'm such an 'undaz' girl." My sister nodded in understanding while my husband looked puzzled. "What does undaz mean?" he queried. I chuckled and realized I had slipped a Hindi word into an English sentence without a second thought.My cooking experiences tend to be undaz moments (unlike times of baking where I meticulously follow a recipe to ensure success). In honor of such moments, I will share one of my favorites: Undaz Soup! The absent of specific quantities is intentional.
Ingredients
leftover roasted chicken, including bones
3 - 5 peeled garlic cloves
whole peppercorns
bay leaf
coarsely chopped onion (or green onions)
additional spices of your choice
chopped vegetables of your choice
pasta (optional)
can of soup (either cream-based, tomato, or broth)
salt and pepper
water
Procedure
1. Remove leftover chicken from the bones. Chop and set aside.2. Place chicken bones into a large pot, cover with water. Add garlic cloves, peppercorns, bay leaf, onion, and additional spices into the pot (I added basil). Bring to a boil and then let the mixture simmer at low heat for at least an hour. Once finished, drain solids from the liquids and set aside the broth.
3. Chop a variety of vegetables such as carrots, celery, zucchini, potato, and red pepper. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Add a bit of salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Cook until vegetables are tender.
4. Add broth and chopped chicken to the vegetable mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.5. Add a can of soup to enrich the flavor (I added tomato). You may add pasta at this point. Cook at medium heat until pasta is tender.
6. Enjoy! Feeds several people! :)