Like a Small Child is My Soul...
A few hours later, after the evening tasks are completed, my husband and I quietly sneak into her room and watch her sleep for a few moments. We usually place our hands on her chest to feel her steady breathing. We can't help but smile and murmur, "She is beautiful." And she is. Honestly, watching a baby sleep is soothing to one's soul.
Moments like these bring new perspective to scripture that I have read countless times before. Consider Psalm 131:
"LORD, my heart is not proud; my eyes are not haughty. I don't concern myself with matters too great or awesome for me. But I have stilled and quieted myself, just as a small child is quiet with its mother. Yes, like a small child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the LORD -- now and always." (vs. 1-3, emphasis added)
How often do I "concern myself with matters too great or awesome for me"? Too many times to count. There are numerous moments I try to super analyse my life's circumstances to determine God's purposes for me. I often ask the question, with a bit of angst, "Why is this happening to me?" I can't escape my apparent need to create contingency plans for future events beyond my control!
This is not to say that analysing, asking, and creating in the above context is wrong. However, when such activities and thoughts cause pride or self-inflicted turmoil to creep into our souls, I believe we lose our child likeness. Instead, we should learn to emulate children. They do not concern themselves with matters too great or awesome for them. Children have a simple view of life: sleep, food, diaper change, play, and lots of LOVE.
I think I need to focus on the simple things for a while (minus the diaper change)! "O Rain, put your hope in the LORD -- now and always."